Category descriptions are being changed by Quicken processes

Options

I have found several instances where Quicken's processes result in changes to descriptions I've set for Categories. In place of the description I placed on the Category, Quicken will replace the description with the name of a payee or sometimes with the memo line on a specific transaction. Frankly, I've become bored with constantly having to change the descriptions back to my preferred text.

I've seen this happen even with a One Step Update that includes syncing with the cloud. It's possible this has also occurred when I've asked for a full backup to be made.

This could be happening only with categories I've created, as opposed to categories that came delivered in the base Quicken product.

I'd like to be able to set a category description and not have Quicken change that description to some non-sensical text cannibalized from another field within Quicken's database. Having this kind of thing happen makes me wonder what other bugs are causing my data to become corrupted.

Tagged:

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Did you suffer any crashes while running Quicken?

Can you show us an example of what changed where, please?
    How do I post a screenshot in the community from windows

How do I post a screenshot in the community from a mac

Please save images to files of file type PNG, JPG, or GIF only. They're easier to work with than PDF files.

• mark320
    mark320 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Quicken is not crashing for me.

At the present time, all my descriptions have been corrected, except for one which I will depict below. Then I will fix it. The description of the sub-category "Penalty" had been saved as "Tax penalty" and has been changed (not by any user) to read, "Eighteen Seventy Strand." I've no idea the source of that description; there are no transactions I can find that use that for, as an example, the payee name.

I am watching more closely than normally, to see if I can catch when they are changed. And then see if I can recall what's been going on recently that might have caused the change.

As you can imagine, except for using categories, I rarely spend time maintaining categories. But the descriptions to which I am referring here are those displayed in the Category List.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Looks like database corruption. Have you tried Validate & Repair?

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thank you for responding and including a picture.

Unless somebody else has seen that same or a similar problem before and can come up with an answer, I have no answer for you. Sorry.
    All I can imagine is that there is/was a glitch in Quicken somewhere which overlaid some data … keep an eye on it and be sure to keep Murphy out of the house by making backups of your Quicken data file every day.

• mark320
    mark320 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Yes, I have. More than once. Following Validate & Repair, I have found other descriptions have been changed.

It's very perplexing.

• QuickUserPSP
    QuickUserPSP Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

@mark320 - have you tried making a copy of your data file using the "Copy File" process? It does remove some file corruption and is used in conjunction with the File Validate.

You can find the "Copy File" by going to File→Copy or Backup File→Create a copy or template.

The only caveat is that you will need to reset up online connections for all accounts in the copied file.

If you search on "troubleshoot" in Quicken Support, you will find more details, and other options to try.