American Express reauthorization for CLOSED accounts

Options

One Step update prompts me to reauthorize an old AMEX credit card account that was closed quite some time ago.

I have read in Quicken help that I am to go to the closed hidden account and:

"In the Account Details window, go to the Online Services tab and click the Deactivate button"

However, there is no way to do this. On the Online Services it only says "This Account is Closed" there is no way to click the Deactivate button. I was hoping this would eventually go away, but it has been at least one month.

Comments

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @teeann,

To start with, I suggest that you please try validating and/or super validating your data file. However, I do recommend that you first save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

Validate: 

1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, proceed to Super Validate. If the issue is resolved after performing validation, then please disregard the instructions to Super Validate.

Super Validate:

1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• QuickUserPSP
    QuickUserPSP Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

@teeann - if after doing the Validate and Super Validate as @Quicken Anja suggests and you are still getting the reauthorization prompt for this closed account, check that the Financial Institution Name and Account Number on the General tab in Account Details are both blank. I am not certain this will help but it's worth a try.

• teeann
    teeann Member ✭✭✭
    Options

@QuickUserPSP Thanks. It is an old account I haven’t used in years. I tried removing the account number and taking American Express out of the name. I haven’t had it connected for years. I’ll try the validate stuff when I have the time. For now it is just a nuisance message, my Amex cc and HYSA connect fine.

• teeann
    teeann Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 4
    Options

@Quicken Anja Can you please tell me what the point of the Validation process is? (By this I mean what does this process do?) My Quicken, Amex etc works great, with the exception of this nuisance message that I get every time I do ONE STEP UPDATE (regarding an account I haven't used since 2017!). What does validating do exactly? The backup and possible restore process is not exactly easy (and can possibly take up a lot time), so I'd rather not do this if this isn't actually a possible fix :(