Social Security payment problems with categories

Options

I am having a problem with Quicken when I enter a Social Security payment. Sometimes the number is a positive number, sometimes a negative number as shown

Even after deleting the 3716.20 in line 4 and adjusting to show a positive transaction total of +1858.10 the entry resumes the form as shown above. I am frustrated to say the least. Of course, this throws off all the tax estimations…….

The health and fitness deductions are for part B and D deductions.

Thoughts (and answers) greatly appreciated!!

Best Answer

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

SO. you edit the split transaction, save it, the txn in the register shows $1,l858.10 and when you open the txn again (doing nothing else in the interim) the error is back?

That sounds like a corrupted Q data file. Have you tried backing-up and then Validating the file?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

When does "the entry resume the form"? Before you save it to the register? Or with the next payment?

Have you looked at your Memorized Transactions to see what's there?

• walter bender
    walter bender Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Before and after saving it to the register. I have deleted all the relevant memorized transactions.

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Maybe we need to see the deposit transaction listed in the register. Is this in a checking account? And show the column headings.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

SO. you edit the split transaction, save it, the txn in the register shows $1,l858.10 and when you open the txn again (doing nothing else in the interim) the error is back?

That sounds like a corrupted Q data file. Have you tried backing-up and then Validating the file?

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 4
    Options

Something is making Quicken think this transaction is a payment and not a deposit. The -$3716..20 is exactly the delta between a $1858.10 deposit amount and a $1858.10 payment amount.

Have you confirmed that the transaction is being entered as a deposit and not a payment?

Are you entering each SS payment into checking as a manual transaction? Or do you have an Income Reminder set up so you just enter the Reminder each month?

Also, if you have a recurring monthly Reminder set up, you might want to double check to make sure it is set up as an Income Reminder and not as a Bill Reminder. Setting up a deposit like as a Bill Reminder will cause this kind of behavior to occur. (I know, I learned the hard way in the past myself.)

If you do have a recurring Income Reminder set up, have you tried deleting the entire recurring Reminder and then setting up a new recurring Income Reminder?

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11

• walter bender
    walter bender Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Thank you for your suggestions. I think I have tried all that you suggested without success. I have alternatively set up the social security deposit as an income reminder and the part b and d deductions as separate withdrawals. This is a bit more cumbersome but it does get the right amounts in the right spots without negative numbers appearing. Still don't understand why it can't be set up correctly as a split transaction which is, in fact, what it is.

• QuickUserPSP
    QuickUserPSP Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

@walter bender I think I know what is happening. Quicken gets confused sometimes if you attempt to do the split before the transaction is entered into the register.

When you create the Deposit transaction, put in the Payee and net (deposit) amount only, and then enter it into the register.

Then click on the transaction and do Ctrl-S to bring up the split window. Then you can enter the Social Security and Part B and Part D amounts. The split total should equal the net deposit to your checking account.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@walter bender In the dialog in your original post, you should have been able to click Adjust to correct the total and then OK to enter it. Did that not work for you?

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.