compare to portfolio button is grayed out

DawnK16
DawnK16 Member ✭✭
edited July 2 in Investing (Windows)

Anyone know why the Compare to Portfolio button is grayed out? It's not like that on all my Schwab accounts, only some. Thank you.

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Is the account(s) in question connected for download?

And, I'm not seeing this in my Q … so I'm grasping at straws.

What Q BUILD are you running? Do HELP, About Quicken for this info.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• DawnK16
    DawnK16 Member ✭✭

Thanks for responding.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

OK, it looks like you have current software and subscription.

Compare to Portfolio only works for accounts that are set up to download transactions. Does the One Step Update work for these accounts?

Another way to access the comparison is by clicking on the gear at the top right of the account and selecting Reconcile Shares. Do you have that option in the list, and does it work?

If the Reconcile Shares option is not listed, that would be an indication that the account is not set up for downloading. Select Edit account details from the gear menu then click on the Online Services tab. What does that show?

QWin Premier subscription
  • DawnK16
    DawnK16 Member ✭✭

Yes, I'm set up for download.

I just spent all morning manually updating my share balances on all my accounts (my broker changed firms and that messed everything up). I tried the "reconcile shares" and it said it matched. So then I put in a fake entry for a new stock and did an update. I did the reconcile shares again and it still said it matches my brokerage, but of course, that can't be right because I put in the fake entry. So, I don't know what the problem is but for now my accounts all match so I'm just going to call it good. Thanks for your help.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

When the broker changed firms, what did you do in Quicken? Did you set up new accounts in Quicken and link them to the new brokerage? Often when this happens the transactions that are downloaded are incorrect and you must do a Shares transferred between accounts in Quicken to correctly move the holdings to the new account.

QWin Premier subscription
  • DawnK16
    DawnK16 Member ✭✭

He changed firms but he was with Schwab in both cases so that didn't change. There was just alot of movement that didn't get handled properly. In one case I found that Quicken said I owned United Technologies, but when I reconciled it all today, it was actually United Parcel Service—stuff like that. The number of shares was correct but the stock and price per share were wrong—despite downloading every day. Quicken even recorded the dividend as coming from United Technologies, when it came from UPS. Perhaps because it had the wrong stock in the account, it couldn't record a dividend from a stock that wasn't in the account.

This discussion has been closed.