Why do downloads from banks wipe out info I've put into MEMO

dancutrer
dancutrer Quicken Windows 2017 Member ✭✭

Quicken's great advice is TOUGH, do backups, key in again what was wiped out … great, but next time I update it'll be wiped out again.

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 8

If I remember the rules correctly for the memo it goes something like this.

If you manually enter the transaction/memo that memo wins (not really sure of this part because I don't do it myself).

If the memo is in a memorized payee that is going to be matched to get the category and other information, if the downloaded transaction has a memo in it, that one will win (downloaded one).

And then there is the relativity new feature: Go to the Account Details for that account → Online services and there is an option "Don't update memo when downloading". Which will prevent Quicken from ever using the downloaded memo.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 8

Go to the Account Details for that account → Online services and there is an option "Don't update memo when downloading". Which will prevent Quicken from ever using the downloaded memo.

I can vouch that checking the box for this works really, really well at keeping manually entered transactions from being overwritten during transaction downloads. It needs to be done on an account-by-account basis….it would be nice if they would add a Global Preference for this.

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R59.10 on Windows 11

• dancutrer

THANKS AGAIN!!! Finally found it, Quicken did a great job in hiding it! And thanks!! for backups! Best wishes from Dallas!

• dancutrer

I'm using Classic, ver R56.9, build 27.1.56.9, I can't find an ACCOUNT DETAILS … or ONLINE SERVICES. Your help greatly appreciated.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 Quicken Windows Subscription Alumni ✭✭✭✭

go to your Account - Register displays - then upper right corner is Gear/Settings - Edit Account -

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 9

@dancutrer - You can also get there by going to Tools > Account List > click on the Edit button for the Account > Online Services tab.

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R59.10 on Windows 11

This discussion has been closed.