Dashboard - Spending & Income Bar graph

Elephant$$88Dog
Elephant$$88Dog Quicken Windows Subscription Member

Why are taxes included in spending reports. When a person wants to look at spending vs income it
would be nice to know what you're actually spending. Seems a bit odd.
Why would I want to know how much I'm paying in taxes. The point of
having a budgeting program like this is to figure out what you're
spending compared to income and how to cut back. To
have to look at the amounts and then do your own calculations is a bit
odd. That's why I purchased the program to do the calculations for me.

I'm talking about when you look Income & Spending on the dashboard with the bar graph

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 9

What type of taxes are you talking about? Sales Taxes, for example, would seem to be properly included in a regular spending report.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Bob_L
    Bob_L Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

You can "add a view" to the dashboard via the customize option from the gear icon on the upper right. Then on that view choose to add the "income vs expenses" chart. Once added, customize it to exclude the tax categories you don't want to see.

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

• UKR
    UKR Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

There also is a transaction report under the Spending tab which can be filtered to show Spending without taxes.

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Why are taxes included in spending reports. When a person wants to look at spending vs income it would be nice to know what you're actually spending. Seems a bit odd. Why would I want to know how much I'm paying in taxes. The point of having a budgeting program like this is to figure out what you're spending compared to income and how to cut back.

I think it depends on your particular situation. If you are a paid employee and have tax withheld by your employer, have no side businesses or rental properties and/or have the property tax escrowed in a mortgage, then maybe it's not so important to see the tax expenses details in those reports, graph and Budget tool.

But if you are a 1099 contractor, are self employed, have rental properties and/or your property taxes are paid directly to the gov't instead of escrowed in a mortgage, then these are very real expenses that can greatly impact cash flow, should definitely be budgeted for and should be accounted for in these reports, Graph and Budget because they are very real expenses affecting available spending cash.

Fortunately, Quicken provides a lot of flexibility for dealing with a wide variety of situations so most people can set it up they way they want and/or need it set up.

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R59.10 on Windows 11

This discussion has been closed.