New reports dialog - larger fonts please!

Fletch200
Fletch200 Member ✭✭✭
edited July 18 in Reports (Windows)

At least on NEW features could you focus on coding the UI to be more adaptive to the display it's used on? Surely the developers have 4k monitors too these days. If it were not for 'use large fonts' I'd need a magnifying glass to use Quicken. It's bad enough that when run full screen, Quickens' WHITE display emits the same amount of light as the two LED desk lamps I have!

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭✭

Surely the developers have 4k monitors too these days.

Maybe some/one of them, but I doubt they all have 4K monitors. Even they do the big problem here is all the possible variables, with the biggest one being the person using Quicken.

You have a person on a 12" 4k laptop with either good or bad vision. Or a person on a 40" 4k monitor with good or bad vision. And you can have people that are on HD (1920x1080) monitors of various sizes where the text is too small for them, and they go down to resolutions like 800x600 and complain that the dialogs don't fit on their screen (and yes for the record 1024x768 "normal font" 100% scaling is the min).

Having code that is 40+ years old mixed in with everything up to modern libraries just makes everything that much harder.

I have three 27" monitors running at 2560x1440 with 100% Windows scaling, and normal Quicken fonts, and it is fine for me. Others this would be way too small. Others that are younger might even be able to have smaller monitors and run at the same or higher resolution without any Windows or Quicken's scaling.

So, the point is that it isn't just going out and buying a 4K monitory and looking that it is OK for the developer.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • eqpu
    eqpu Member ✭✭✭✭

My experience is with older version of Quicken but I also feel that Quicken fonts are too small many a times.

I have to use reading glasses for working with Quicken at times, particularly when entering data instead of the normal intermediate distance glasses I use for reading other stuff on monitor.

Quicken 2012 Premier on Windows 11 Pro (Quicken User since Quicken 1998)

• Fletch200
    Fletch200 Member ✭✭✭

I had 20/15 vision for 50 years #blessed - but it's reading glasses now. I like the real-estate so I run 4k at 150% with text size at 120.

Large fonts in Quicken make it usable at these dimensions - despite the blinding white light. My point is that NEW code should at least work as well as the old code.

I worked in a code base that over a 30 year period became legacy but we adapted the UI in the latter 15 years to look less stale and improve functionality. We were not subscription based either - so revenue was not guaranteed. Quicken is probably on a skeleton budget by now and just hanging on by a thread. Though they seem to be trying new things.

Let's do a comparison of their legacy code that works better than the brand new code.

• UKR
    UKR Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

As far as the white background is concerned, a partial solution may be to set Edit / Preferences / Colors / Background Color to Gray.

And please consider this until "Dark Mode" is made available in Quicken for Windows:

Not just Quicken … a kind of "Windows Dark Mode" for the entire system
    How to turn on Invert Colors mode in Windows:
    • Start in normal (not dark) mode.
    • Press the Windows logo key and the = key to open Magnifier.
    • Press Ctrl+Alt+I to invert colors.
    • Press the Windows logo key and the - key once or several times to reduce the magnification to normal size.
    • If it's not already open, open Quicken using its now color-inverted icon.
    • Press Ctrl+Alt+I again to restore colors to "normal" mode or close the Magnifier icon / window
    • Also see

(click on the Date in the above window to see the entire discussion full-screen)

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Reminder that there is a better way to enable screen inversion than the Magnifier hack.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Fletch200
    Fletch200 Member ✭✭✭

I have used the inversion hack for a long time now, and it is a relief for long sessions. I recently realized that my newest system supported HDR so I turned that on. The inversion hack still works, but the text is less clear now with HDR on. So I have to invert AND disable HDR 😁. HDR otherwise makes everything else look very nice.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭✭

Large fonts in Quicken make it usable at these dimensions - despite the blinding white light. My point is that NEW code should at least work as well as the old code.

I must say I’m not a big fan of the newer GUI APIs they are using. They seem less flexible than the older versions.

It isn’t something I think the average person thinks about when they state that they should modernize Quicken.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.