Big and odd change at Wells Fargo and Quicken

Options

I wish I had done screen shots, and glad it was my TEST file, but when trying to one step update got a message that my Wells Fargo (main bank!) accounts were deleted in Quicken. Something to the effect that this can happen if you recently restored from backup (I have not) or (forgot the other listed options) ….. And an unusual FixIt icon and dialogs. So saved a backup from before this and hit fixit. Message was "You need a direct connect" for these accounts!! Well, I have and have had Direct Connect for checking and savings, but CC REQUIRED EWC+ a while ago. Hmmm.

Now I do not have all accounts in my TEST file. I logged in to Wells and Quicken found accounts. It did NOT automatically link to exisiting - I had to choose that or Quicken would have created new accounts! And the dialog wanted to bring in accounts I do not have in my TEST file so had to nix those. Then when completed, balances and transactions look good and the CC is now Direct Connect as well as checking and savings.

I have not checked the Wells CC Online Biller. Forgot how to tell if EWC or Direct there or even if that appears in Online Billers.

Have not yet performed this on my LIVE file. Hate the risk, but will have to. Going to wait until after 9:00 Pacific to be sure it was not the result of a weekend Wells update on their servers.

Anyone else?

Comments

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

OK, just updated my LIVE file. Wells needed to be reuthorized and had to agree to share info with Intuit again. Went seamless, ONLY updated my credit card to Direct connect as other accounts already that way.

I think this is odd and would love to know more. But all working except I cannot get rid of this alert:

If I delete it, its back on next OSU. Even if I do an Update Now on that account rather than OSU. I am concerned I am not getting new transactions.

Any input on that?

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

What are seeing is probably normal for Express web connect plus, depending on how the financial institution implements it.

One understand that each data file has a unique ID in it and therefore the financial institution can tell which one you connected the online accounts to.

I've tried kind of thing with Chase and Chase doesn't seem to have any problem with connections to multiple data files, but from the feedback I've seen on this website that isn't true of all financial institutions. Some of them want you to be only connected to one data file at a time. And if you try to connect to a second day to file with a different unique ID it'll behave basically the way you just saw.

Now I know you said that you use direct connect but the errors you got were express webconnect plus errors. So clearly somehow on your test file you got express webconnect Plus not direct connect. That isn't really surprising because express webconnect Plus it's probably the default.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Not quite it, Chris. BOTH TEST and LIVE changed the CC files for Wells FROM EWC+ where they were for months to Direct Connect, where the checking and savings were and are. This was a big surprise that they woul drevert back to DC.

AND, the have not downloaded in more than 30 days message is AFTER the conversion to DC.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Okay I see the situation is a little bit different than I thought. And frankly it makes me more worried about what's going on in behind the scenes. When you talk about express web connect and Express Web connect Plus and syncing to mobile and web you expect that the server is going to do things and have control over things like this. With direct connect you sort of think you're exempt from this kind of thing, but clearly as The behavior you are seeing shows that that is not completely true. How much is direct connect really completely just between the financial institution in Quicken these days well short of getting on there and doing network scanning and debugging it's hard to say.

For the paranoid people, and is getting really hard to hide from the servers knowing what you're doing and mucking it up sometimes.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

OK, I have new cleared transactions at Wells no longer downloading to Quicken and I keep getting this Have Not Downloaded, etc message. Another clue this is broken is there is NO online balance here:

How can I fix this. It is my most used credit card and broke with this change. I am assuming that Checking and savings still work.

Help please….

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

OK, went to my TEST file and tried to RESET online services. Got this:

So either a Quicken or a Wells issue after changing to Direct Connect for credit cards.

I cannot find a way to tell if Checking and Savings are affected.

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Quicken Anja Can you see if this is a known issue? Thanks so much.

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Surprised no replies. Not able to connect or refresh to Wells CC after forced change to Direct Connect. Have not call Wells yet. tough to discuss Quicken with them. Did report to Quicken. Am I the only one with this? I'd be very surprised.

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Arrrgghhh. Wells just forced me to change passwords due to too many attempts to contact accounts in Quicken. Afraid to change it in Quicken and try again. Not sure iof better to calls Wells or Quicken support.

So suprised no one else having these issues.

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

AND, I cannot change my Password in Quicken!! For Wells, of course. Says "Not Required" and grayed out.

I guess this is the first thing I neeed to fix. Suggestions?

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Tried to change the Password inUpdate Setting key icon and it says Express Web Connect must be authroized at the bank. BUT when I go to the account it shows the connection method as Direct Connect. So stuck in yet another loop.

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

OK, latest thought was to create a brrand new Quicken Test file. I did. Went to add my Wells accounts and got this:

Will try going to their site as the dialog suggests. But keeps getting worse. I really need access to my checking and credit card through quicken.

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Did the authorization as suggested in above dialog. Conformed OK at Wells site, returned to add Wells acoiunt in new test file and same error dialog.

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

OK, the NEW Test file was able to connect and add two accounts from Wells. But downloaded very little information I'm afraid deleting and readding in either my TEST or LIVE files will cripple my history and reports. And I cannot change password or connection method in either file.

Wells might be back but until I can change my password and connection method I do not know what to do. Blood pressure up. I try not to let these things get to me but this is more than an Online Biller Issue. Its checking and bill payments and most used credit card.

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

OK. Dawned on me if I could add an account in a new test file, then maybe Deactivating and Reconnecting could help. It seems it helped. It found that I had that account and linked to existing. But, two issues:

1. Nothing new downloaded and there shoul dhave been a few transactions.
    2. I get these error messages, which are not true and do not know what to do about them:

One for each of three accounts.

So how can I be siure I am downloading? This message tells me I am connecting but not downloading I suspect. And how can I clear these messages?

I'm feeling a little better. Password changed. Able to maybe connect. Would love to correct the rest.

Suggestions welcome.

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

On the phone with Wells Fargo. They swear they have no issues and it has to be me. But same in both files.

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 18
    Options

So, one more oddity for tonight as I have lost my voice and cannot deal any longer.

Wells says the change from EWC this weekend was by Quicken, not Wells. They were aware of it happening. So one more clue, even now after deactivating and reactivitating with my new password. Quicken seems to think my Credit card (if not all accounts) are EWC+.

This has to be a quicken issue. Doubt in my files as it is this way in all FIles. I may try another new test file. Maybe tomorrow. I have a headache.

Appreciate any help. Even knowiong I am not the only one with this issue would help. I know there are transactions ready fpor download I am not getting.

I have done the above twice. I hope its a good clue.

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

AND, the fact the accounts are not showing online balances tells me I am not connecting to Wells…

A different credit card to show:

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Another user has this issue. I did not even think it could be a result of the latest Quicken Windows update. Cannot recall if the update of notice to reauthorize came first and cannot tell which is responsible. My guess more like the change from EWC+ to Direct Connect after the need to reauthroize.

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

OK, have not found the energy to deal with this and have a show tonight so wil postpose contacting SUPPORT until Monday. Frankly, I always get tense thinking something else could break trying to fix this or, g_d forbid, I could lose years and years of checking and credit card history. So I shall wait.

Had a brief fleeting thought that if I had to start over today, I have no idea how I would remember all accounts to add, all reminders, all billers… So somehow this needs to get right.

I did open a new comparable credit card if that will not correct itself. And a new savings account. Both elsewhere. The Checking Account is the big one if I have to find one with Direct Connect Bill Pay. But I shall think positive that I will find the magic support tech Monday abd breathe a sign of relief after a week.

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I think I just fixed it.

Validated and super validated. Got a bunch of duplicate charges, but mioght be fixed. Will watch, but VERY promising.

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

It seems to be back. Quite a few duplicate transactions that were already cleared, but not hard to weed those out. I wish I had thought of this sooner.

And there was nothing in the Validation log that shows that anythiong was found/fixed that would have cured this. But it did.