Erroneous report totals of categories/subcategories

acs2
acs2 Member ✭✭✭
edited July 18 in Reports (Windows)

I recently created a report using Spending>Spending by category. The report was for Food and Dining with Subcategories Food Stores and Outside Dining. These subcategories each have two subcategories. The report provided a overall Total of $775.78. This is an error as the $775.58 is the total of the Food Stores and not the total of Food Stores plus Outside dining.

Is this error known and being worked on?

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

I've never heard of such an error. Including one subtotal, but not the other is most curious. What specific Q report is this from, and is it a "canned" report, or one that you've previously customized and saved?

I can only suggest that you take a backup and they try VALIDATING your Q data file. FILE. Validate and Repair File, Validate File.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

This might be yet another problem with the new report customization interface.

Try going to Edit > Preferences > Early Access and un-checking both boxes. Restart Quicken and try creating the report again.

When selecting Categories to include, make sure the main Food and Dining category and the subcategories are all selected.

Does that fix it?

QWin Premier subscription
  • acs2
    acs2 Member ✭✭✭

It is a canned report Spending> Spending by category where I selected Food and Dining and Date > last month. I ran it again this morning and it worked fine. ODD!!

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 18

Actually those are two different reports. The one in your original screenshot appears to be an Income/Expense by Category or maybe Banking > Cash flow report, which has separate subtotal lines, and the second is the Spending > Spending by Category, which has the subtotals next to the higher level Categories.

Please confirm which built in report you started with to produce the erroneous results in your first screenshot. Is it still incorrect in that report?

I tried to re-create your issue in the Income/Expense by Category report, and I do not see this issue.

QWin Premier subscription
This discussion has been closed.