Linking Old and New Credit Card

I got a new credit card number. I was able to deactivate the old card. I added the new card. I can't find how to link the two accounts in Quicken - the old Visa card account and the next Visa card account in Quicken. The new account has some transactions dating back about two months, but that is it.

Tagged:

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭

Typically, since these are in fact treated as the same credit card by the financial institution what I do is just deactivate the account and then reactivate it for the new number linking to the existing one.

Another approach would be to delete the duplicate transactions in the new account including the opening balance and then put in a transfer from the old account to the new one to zero out the old and establish the opening balance of the new account.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

"I added the new card."

As @Chris_QPW has said, you typically can simply "reuse" the original credit card Account if all that has happened is a credit card number change.

If, for whatever reason, you actually want to create a new credit card Account because of the new credit card number, you can do that too. You'd Transfer the balance in the old credit card Account to the new credit card Account, making that entry the Opening Balance of the new Account and zeroing out the balance in the old credit card Account.

In the old Account you then could, (using the Display Options tab of Account Details), check "Keep this account separate" and "Hide in transaction entry lists" to remove the old Account from the Account Bar, but preserving all the historical detail of the old Account for Reports.

• JohnCe
    JohnCe Member

Hello,

I saw this particular issue, and wanted to piggyback on it to see if one of you can help me. I received a new credit card from Chase. The old one is still active. I added the new CC to Quicken, and noticed the transactions started on 7/6, but my first transaction for that card was 7/2. Perhaps i was hasty, but I deleted the account in quicken, and thought that I would determine how to add the account again, but include all transactions for the new card. When i attempt to do this, Chase informs me the new CC account is already in Quicken. But as I mentioned, I deleted it.

How can I add the CC account back into Quicken, and ensure the starting date is 7/2? Thanks

John

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭

@JohnCe How is "Chase informing" you?

Just because the account shows up in the list on Chase of the accounts that are shared with Intuit/Quicken doesn't mean you can't add it to Quicken.

Chase is never informed when you delete an account in Quicken, so as far as it is concerned you are still sharing it unless you went in and told Chase to stop sharing it.

There should be no reason why you can't just use Tools → Add Account to add that credit card back into Quicken. It will go through the process of redirecting you to the Chase website to authorize it and you should be able to basically just click through that, and then be told to go back to Quicken and finish up the process. At that point Quicken should put up the dialog that allows you to link/add accounts. Just make sure that you select add for the new credit card and for the others that they are linked to the correct accounts in Quicken.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

@JohnCe

"noticed the transactions started on 7/6, but my first transaction for that card was 7/2."

That statement is unclear. It could mean "my first charge on the card was 7/2, but the first transaction that showed up on 7/6 was a later transaction and my 7/2 transaction wasn't downloaded." Or, it could mean "my first charge on the card was 7/2 but that transaction showed up with a 7/6 Date."

If the first statement above is what you're getting at, the first transaction never showed up, then my guess would be that there is some problem that needs to be investigated. But if it's the second statement that's more correct, then my guess would be that you DIDN'T enter that transaction manually as a 7/2 transaction, a transaction that would be a "match" to the subsequent download, but instead waited for the download to create that transaction in Quicken. If that's the case then the date that shows up under the "Date" column in the Register is the credit card company's PROCESSING date, which typically lags the actual date when you used your credit card by a few days.

This discussion has been closed.