How Do I Manage Multiple (2) Family Members' Information on One Quicken Subscription?

montanarose
montanarose Quicken Mac Subscription Member

Just purchased Mac subscription: I had previously used Mac 2016 (and earlier versions), primarily for reconciling my checking account. Once I stopped writing so many checks, I also stopped using Q. but thought I'd try it again. At this point, my husband and I are retired. We only use two financial institutions, one for investments only and one foe investments plus checking and mortgage payments. The problem is that within each institution, in addition to our joint accounts (which bear both our names), we have some accounts (e.g., credit cards and IRAs) which are listed under my name or my husband's name only. I want to use Q. to track EVERYTHING — for example, with several of our credit cards, we both have individual cards and make purchases independently, even though the card might be "assigned" to only one of us. So when I try to link my bank accounts to Q., it only pulls up those that are in my name and omits those in my husband's name. Please don't suggest that he purchase his own Q. subscription — he's something of a Luddite and wouldn't do it anyway; plus, that defeats my goal of being able to track our entire financial picture in one format. thanks in advance for any help.

Best Answer

• jeeper
    jeeper Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 3 Answer ✓

we have multiple accounts at Chase and Schwab -

Each account has the primary account owner - usually by SSN/1099 - and a separate login ID -
    SO…. for Quicken - when we do the Add Account - we just use EACH of the user ID's and each account is setup & downloaded separately -
    The key is knowing how/which accounts were setup at the bank with which SSN/1099
    top is JT checking, JT checking, my MC card - created at Chase with my SSN/1099
    bottom is spouse Visa card - created separately at Chase with spouse SSN/1099

Answers

• smayer97
    smayer97 Quicken Mac Other SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

That seems odd. What FI only provides data for one of the account users and not the other? All I deal with pull all data for an account holder, through the primary account holder, regardless of how many others are authorized to use the account.

Regardless, it is the FI that controls the data flow, so this is something that would need to be resolved with them. Quicken only pulls whatever the FI provides.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• montanarose

Thank you! But, revealing my ignorance here, what is "FI?" (as in "the separate FI login")?

• montanarose

Someone just posted an answer to my "FI" question: I now know that it means "financial institution."

• volvogirl
    volvogirl Quicken Windows Other SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

FI is Financial Institution like your bank, etc. And You should have all the info for both of you in the same Quicken Datafile.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• jeeper
    jeeper Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 3 Answer ✓

we have multiple accounts at Chase and Schwab -

Each account has the primary account owner - usually by SSN/1099 - and a separate login ID -
    SO…. for Quicken - when we do the Add Account - we just use EACH of the user ID's and each account is setup & downloaded separately -
    The key is knowing how/which accounts were setup at the bank with which SSN/1099
    top is JT checking, JT checking, my MC card - created at Chase with my SSN/1099
    bottom is spouse Visa card - created separately at Chase with spouse SSN/1099

• montanarose

Thank you, jeeper, for your reply — very helpful and on-point. By sharing your own experience, you essentially walked me through the process of setting up similar accounts (ours are at Chase and Fidelity). I guess I know what I'LL be doing this upcoming long weekend!🤣

This discussion has been closed.