Reports: Incorrect category in saved report after adding a new account

DJW
DJW Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭
edited August 8 in Reports (Windows)

R57.16 release

I have a saved Year to Year report that is filtered to one account, subtotaled by categories. All other filters are off. The report Date Range is 1/1/2016 to 12/31/2024. It was last run and captured on 04Jan2024, I ran it today 05July2024 and strange values appeared for 2024. Clicking on the strange report values does not produce any results in the mini report.

I did create a 'new account' on 17Jan2024.

2 new categories appeared in the report:

• One for Rental Expenses. This category has existed since the 90's. It was not in the 04Jan2024 capture. It had values for 2024.
  • One for the 'new account'. This account was created on 17Jan2024. This account had a category entry but no values

I verified the reports settings [One account checked]. All [Categories],[Payees],[Tags] selected.

I was able to verify that all of the 'Rental Expense' transactions in the 'new account' are showing up in the saved report even though the account and category are not selected in the report settings.

Steps I took;

I was able to make the 'new account' category disappear from the report by deleting the auto created initial balance (which has no category) in the 'new account'.

The 'Rental Expenses' category remained in the report so I started experimenting with limiting the end date of the report.

By changing the date range from 1/17/2024 to 1/16/2024) I can make the 'Rental Expenses' category disappear in the report. The amount happens to be the same value as the first transaction downloaded into the 'new account' dated 1/17/2024,

Any suggestion as to how I can circumvent this feature?

Using Quicken since the 1980's

Answers

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Quicken Windows Subscription Moderator mod

Hello @DJW,

To help troubleshoot this issue, please provide additional information. Do you have the Early Access features turned on or off? To check this, go to Edit>Preferences>Early Access. Which report or reports are exhibiting this behavior? Was the account you added an online account or an offline (manual) account? When you opened the saved report, did you get a Saved Report Alert? If so, which option did you select?

I look forward to your response!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• DJW
    DJW Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭

Early Access: Reports & Graphs Center is enabled, Customize Reports is not enabled. (I was not aware this was enabled)

The report is a customized report filtered to a single offline bookeeping account.

The new account was an online account.

When I initially opened the saved report I did get the saved report alert. I always choose the 'Show the Customize…' to review what changed. I did not select the new account.

Using Quicken since the 1980's
  • Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Quicken Windows Subscription Moderator mod

Thank you for your response,

When I test in my Quicken, I'm unable to replicate the issue you describe. Did the actions you mentioned in your original post correct the problem, or does it come back when you open the saved report?

Is the new account an online account or a manual account? What kind of account is it?

Does the issue happen if you create a new report and customize it, or does it happen only in that one saved report? If it is happening only in that one saved report, have you tried selecting, then unselecting the new account?

Have you tried restarting the Quicken program and/or your computer recently? Sometimes doing that will also correct unwanted behaviors.

I look forward to your reply!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• mshiggins
    mshiggins Quicken Windows 2017 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Off the top of my head I can think of a few things you can check out.

If you have elected to use either of the options at Preferences > Early Access, try deselecting both and note whether your saved report then works correctly.

Try to determine whether the saved report is corrupted by creating a new report from the Reports menu, Customized exactly like your original saved report. If the newly created/customized report works, replace the existing saved report with the new one - the original saved report is likely corrupted.  

[When you saved the report and Quicken asked you what to do, "When new Accounts, Securities, Categories or Tags are added:", did you check the "Add automatically (Update the report)" radio button?  If so, the "Warn me when changes could impact my saved report" might be a better choice.]

-JP

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.