Incorporate CSV to QFX Converter into Quicken

QWRon
QWRon Quicken Windows Other Member
edited July 5 in Investments

The two largest investment institutions in the US, Fidelity and Schwab, do not support QFX files. They only support CSV.

This completely nullifies the usefulness of Quicken's supposed automatic portfolio updating for investors, and forces us to use a separate (non-Quicken-supported) conversion program as an intermediary — way too much trouble.

QFX is a 30+ years-old format. Since the institutions won't change, Quicken has to, in order to keep its reputation as the best portfolio manager on the market. If this is the best there is, that's a sad state of affairs.

— QWRon

2 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Most users do not have difficulties downloading investing transactions from Fidelity via Direct Connect and Schwab via Express Web Connect +. Does that not work for you?

QWin Premier subscription
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭✭

They are never going to do this. It sounds easy until you realize that all CSV format tells you is that the field of data are separated by comas.

This is bad enough with non-investment data, but when it comes to investment account it is much worse. The main key after the initial deciding what the columns of data file in them, is to "understand" the security action, like buy, sell. There are zero standards on these terms and in some cases the financial institutions don't even have a separate field for it (they include it in the description). So, you have some kind of column mapping and mapping of the security action as the conversion is going on (that is the first time you get to see what the security action name is).

What's more the QFX files don't just have the transactions in them. They also have a list of securities you own along with their CUSIP IDs so that Quicken can match them.

How do I know all of this?

Because my free program ImportQIF does (which can be found on my website) this (as best that it can be done), and it isn't for complicated use cases, and it isn't people that don't have very good understanding of how they need each security action term to be mapped to a security action in Quicken.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/