Spending Report not showing mortgage payments

daowens
daowens Quicken Windows Subscription Member

Following advice found on this forum, I was able to setup an offline mortgage loan account and split an online checking account's automatic withdrawal into its various components (principal, escrow, interest, etc). This is all working really well (thanks!). What I notice now is that when I review "Reports → Spending" in Quicken Classic on the web, only the interest payments show up. This sort of makes sense since the interest portion of the split is the only payment as the rest are transfers to offline accounts. However, the transfers are real expenses and it would be really nice to see them in the Spending or Income vs. Spending reports. Is there a way to do this? Thanks in advance.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

I don't know about reports in Quicken on the web, but with the desktop software, if you want transfers to be included as expenses, you should click on the gear to customize the report, then on the Accounts tab, un-check the mortgage principal and escrow accounts and on the Advanced tab, next to Transfers select Exclude internal.

QWin Premier subscription

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

I don't know about reports in Quicken on the web, but with the desktop software, if you want transfers to be included as expenses, you should click on the gear to customize the report, then on the Accounts tab, un-check the mortgage principal and escrow accounts and on the Advanced tab, next to Transfers select Exclude internal.

QWin Premier subscription
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

"Spending" includes Expense items. Only the interest component is an expense. The principal payment is a transfer to reduce your liability and the Escrow is an asset transfer. When you make the payments from the Escrow … THAT's the expense.

Income items increase your Net Worth. Expenses reduce it. Transfers, while they reduce your bank account, don't reduce your Net Worth … they merely move money from 1 pocket to another.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• daowens
    daowens Quicken Windows Subscription Member

Thanks, Jim_Harman. Your suggestion worked great on desktop spending reports. I sure wish there was a way to do the same on web version since it brings up the transaction history a little cleaner.

This discussion has been closed.