Backup on Exit Not Working

hugh_mul
hugh_mul Member ✭✭✭

Just had a Quicken automatic update. Backup on exit not working anymore. The parameter was also reset to every 3 exits but I had it set to 1.

Comments

• hankshaft
    hankshaft Quicken Windows Other Member

same here r57.26 build 27.1.57.26 is this another fix one break three?

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Quicken Mac Subscription Moderator mod

Hello @hugh_mul and @hankshaft,

Did this issue begin after the recent update?

To start with, I suggest that you please try validating and/or super validating your data file. However, I do recommend that you first save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

Validate: 

1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, proceed to Super Validate. If the issue is resolved after performing validation, then please disregard the instructions to Super Validate.

Super Validate:

1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• cdennett
    cdennett Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭

Same thing happened to me. Backup was reset to every 3 times and number of backups was reset to 5 with the most recent update. I had to put it back to create the backup on every exist and to save 15 old backups. I seriously doubt doing a validate will prove anything. Seems more like a Quicken QC issue to me.

• Quicken Jasmine

Hello @cdennett,

After revising your settings, are you still experiencing the issue?

Let me know!

-Quicken Jasmine

• cdennett
    cdennett Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭

After putting the backup settings back the way I had them, backups are working as they used to. It is very strange that an update changed them. That should not have happened.

• billsalassi99
    billsalassi99 Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭

Same problem here. Was reset to 5 after update, reset back to 3 and automatic backup only occurs every other exit.

• UKR
    UKR Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Please do not confuse the Backup types: Automatic Backup and Manual Backup. They are separate ways to help protect you from loss of your Quicken data file.

I recommend you review your backup settings in Quicken to ensure that you create a backup every single time you close Quicken. That minimizes the number of lost changes since the last backup, should you have to restore your data file.

How to properly set up Quicken Backup
    How to make Quicken create a backup for you automatically every time you close Quicken
    What Quicken backups are available where?

For the sake of this discussion it is assumed that your Quicken data file is located in the Default (and recommended) place: C:\Users\username\Documents\Quicken
    For this discussion it is also assumed that your Quicken data file is named, for example, QDATA.QDF

Review the backup settings available in Quicken (under Edit / Preferences / Backup).
    In there you will find two types of backup: Automatic and Manual Backup.
    Automatic Backup should be enabled and by default goes to a \Backup folder that's part of the folder which contains your current Quicken data file, e.g. \Documents\Quicken\Backup. Set it to create a backup after running Quicken [1] times and to keep [9] (or more, your choice) backup copies.
    The file name for Automatic Backup files contains a date and time stamp as part of the file name, e.g. QDATA-2020-03-22.PM03.45.QDF-backup

To create a Manual Backup copy of your Quicken data file on an external device (USB-hard drive or USB memory stick recommended), put a checkmark at "Manual Backup Reminder" to enable the function and set "Remind me after running Quicken [xx] times" to [1].
    Click OK to save the changes.
    From now on, when you close Quicken using the red X button, you will get a popup window.
    When you get this window for the first time, on some versions click the radio button for "Backup on my computer".
    Change the Backup File name's drive letter and path to point to your external device so that it looks something like this: E:\Quicken Backup\QDATA-2020-04-01.QDF-backup
    or use the Change button and work your way through the dialog.
    Do not change the filename portion! Just overtype the drive letter and choose a backup folder name. If the folder does not exist, it will be created.
    Do not store the Manual Backup files in the same folder as the Automatic Backups, or on a different folder of your internal hard drive. Should your computer or your internal hard drive fail you will have lost ALL your backups!
    Also choose the option to "Add date to backup file name".
    Every day when you run Backup or close Quicken, an additional backup file is created. Without the Add Date option you only have 1 backup copy which is overwritten every day ... and that may prove bad in a problem recovery situation.
    Allow this backup to run to save the changes made on the screen.
    There is no limit to the number of Manual Backup files that will be stored, except drive capacity. Once in a while you will have to go in and delete some of the oldest backup files, at your discretion, to avoid filling up your USB device.

One can never have enough backups of a Quicken data file. BTDTGTS to prove it!

• Chuck56
    Chuck56 Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭

Same with me. I changed them back to my preferred backup settings and it has been fine ever since.

• Quicken Jasmine

Hello All,

Is anyone still experiencing this issue after changing your backup settings to your preferred options?

Let me know!

-Quicken Jasmine

• billsalassi99

Yes. I am still experiencing this issue.

• billsalassi99

Found my problem. When R57.26 changed the automatic backup settings, when I reverted, I did not put back the correct number to backup Quicken on every exit, i.e. '1. Resolved

• nmestanas
    nmestanas Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭

Same issue here. Yes, I checked my backup settings. Auto goes to local drive. Manual goes to NAS. Reminder popup doesn't popup. Auto backup works. Manual backup to NAS works, just no "reminder". Toggled check box off/on several times. Reduces count to 2, then launched, closed Q several times and no popup.

• ScanIAm
    ScanIAm Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭

This is broken. My settings were working fine such that it would backup after every time I ran it and now they aren't.

Why are the backup configurations changed at all from what they were? Who asked to have their backup configuration 'reset'?

Even after going into Backup preferences and setting it like this, it still doesn't prompt me to backup when I shut down the app:

• Quicken Jasmine

Hello @nmestanas and @ScanIAm,

Have you attempted to validate/supervalidate your files using my previous instructions?

Let me know!

-Quicken Jasmine

• nmestanas

@Quicken Jasmine Yes to both. Still no joy. The reminders were nice to have but not critical for me. I'm just initiating a manual backup as I feel the need for one. As I said, the auto backup works fine. The manual backup to my NAS is in case my drive crashes. I backup my PC regularly (about twice a month) so I'll have my Quicken file there as well. The manual backup (if I need to recover) means I only have to redo a few days worth of transactions instead of 2 weeks-ish if I have to recover it from the PC backup.

Thanks for following up!!

• UKR
    UKR Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Try clicking Reset Quicken Warnings in Edit / Preferences / Alerts & Messages and see if that resurrects the missing Backup reminder on exit.

I assume you're using the red "X" button at the upper right hand corner of the Quicken window to exit and not one of the other available exit commands and mouse clicks.

• nmestanas

@UKR

Thanks for the suggestion. Your assumption is correct. I normally click out using the "X". This time I used File/Exit with the manual backup reminder set to 1. I did 3 exits using the File/Exit and 3 more using the "X". No reminder.

• jljeeper
    jljeeper Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 14

Mine also stopped working at the beginning of August. No more reminders to backup. I see "red X" mentioned several times. I see only a black X