Manual Backup Reminders no longer occurring

PAUser
PAUser Quicken Windows Subscription Unconfirmed ✭✭

I'm using the Windows version of Quicken Classic Business and Personal running under Windows 10.

I've recently noticed that I'm no longer receiving a Manual Backup Reminder when I shut down Quicken. I checked my Backup Preferences and the reminder was set to remind me after running Quicken three times. I changed it to 1 time and it still fails to remind me.

The last manual backup I made was in June, so that's presumably when the reminders stopped.

Any recommendations on what's causing the problem and how to fix it?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Quicken Windows Subscription Moderator mod
    edited July 29 Answer ✓

Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

We have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. In the meantime, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files attached and (if you are willing) a sanitized copy of your data file in order to contribute to the investigation.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams in further investigating the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience!

Thank you.

(CTP-10586)

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

Answers

• abacus
    abacus Quicken Windows Subscription Member

what version ….. Help —> About Quicken

there have been other postings about the "reminder number" getting reset to "3" - but nothing else about it not working -

• BudF
    BudF Quicken Windows Other Member ✭✭
    edited July 13

I've always had Quicken set to back up every time I close it. Saving to a specific directory on my backup drive, not the default. File names were set to include date but not time.

Now, with 57.16, it adds a new directory named "BACKUP" under the directory I've chosen in preferences and saves the automatic backups there, instead of in my chosen directory, as it used to do. And it adds the time to the file name. There is no confirmation of a successful backup.

If I choose to do a manual backup, under File/Copy or Backup File, it behaves as it used to. The backup is saved to my chosen directory and doesn't have time added to the file name. And it asks if I want to overwrite the previous backup with the same name, just like it used to do.

I REALLY, REALLY, don't want to have to remember to manually run a backup. And I really don't like the file bloat that comes with saving a unique backup file name (due to adding time in the file name) every time I close Quicken, which can be several times a day.

Suggestions, please.

[Merged Post]

• BudF
    BudF Quicken Windows Other Member ✭✭

Same for me. You're on 57.16, right?

I posted separately on this just now, with more detail about what's happening. It is also adding a new directory to save the backups, as well as adding the time to the file name.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

I see this sporadically. My manual backup reminder is set to 1 - run after every session. About 1/4 of the time, backup does not occur. This is new as of some recent version.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Quicken Kristina

Hello All,

Is anyone still seeing this issue? If you are still seeing the issue, please provide information about how often it's happening and which version of Quicken you are using (you can find the version information by going to Help>About Quicken).

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina

• jaws2
    jaws2 Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 20

@Quicken Kristina

I am having the issue - mine is set to prompt me every three times. Have tried changing the number to 4. Toggling the "Manual Backup Reminder" on and off. But it never prompts. Been this way for about 3-4 weeks.

Quicken Classic Windows Version R57.26

• UKR
    UKR Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

How often do you shut down Quicken? At the end of every day or do you let it run unattended over night?
    The "number of running Quicken" counter increments only at shutdown.

Is the Manual Backup function enabled (with a checkmark)?

I recommend setting the number of uses to "1", to get backups every day when you close Quicken at the end of the day.

• tgrue2
    tgrue2 Member ✭✭✭

Backup reminder to outside drive is not working!

• nmestanas
    nmestanas Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭

I shut mine down after every use. I launch first thing in the morning, everyday, and do the "One Step Update" while I'm checking email or other tasks on my PC (Win11 with latest updates). Quite often I may launch it again later in the day to search for a past transaction, recategorize transactions, enter cash transactions, etc. My auto-backup works fine to my local drive using the default. It's was set to 5 times so I would normally get a local backup every few days (it's now set to 2). If I manually backup from the Menu, it works fine to my NAS, even remembers the location. I had this reminder set to 10 as that would typically "remind" me at least once a week.

Now, it doesn't matter what the manual reminder interval is, I never get the reminder. I have set it to 1,2,3,5,7,10 to test it as a result of this issue with the same result (no reminder).

Not the end of the world but still needs to be addressed.

• Quicken Kristina

Hello @tgrue2,

To assist with this issue, please provide more information. When did you first notice this issue? The Manual backup reminder option doesn't let you specify a location; it just lets you specify whether you want to be reminded and how often. Did you go to Edit>Preferences>Backup and verify that the reminder is turned on and at the interval you want? Are you getting the reminder when the last location you saved to was a local hard drive, but not getting the reminder when the last location you saved to was an external drive?

Hello @nmestanas,

To help troubleshoot this issue, please provide more information. When did you first notice this issue? Do you always save your manual backups to the NAS, or do you also save some manual backups to your local hard drive? Do you keep your Quicken file directly on your local hard drive? Is the file synced with any cloud backup services, such as OneDrive, iCloud, or Dropbox?

I look forward to your response!

Quicken Kristina

• nmestanas

@Quicken Kristina

Thanks for your response.

I have 2 NAS devices. My primary is a Western Digital (WD) and my secondary is a Netgear (NG). The WD is my primary storage for just about everything I save including the Quicken manual backup. Very few files (documents, pictures, etc.) are stored on my local C: drive. My NG NAS then backs up specific shares on the WD using the backup tools native to the NG (scheduled jobs) including the Quicken manual backups.

I first noticed this about 2 weeks ago when I checked the backup logs on the NG and didn't see the update for the Quicken backups. At first, I though that perhaps I clicked out of the dialog when it appeared. I initiated a manual backup and that completed without issue. As I mentioned in my previous post, I'm in and out of Quicken every day, sometimes 2 or 3 times a day so I expect that I would get prompted again fairly quickly. Now, paying attention to this, I never saw the reminder. After coming to this forum, I saw others report the same issue. I then went and changed the interval and repeatedly launched and closed Quicken and never saw the reminder.

My local Quicken file is on my local C: drive in the default location (documents/quicken). My auto backups also go to the local drive in the default location (documents/quicken/backup). The auto backup works fine. I only save the manual backups to the WD NAS. I've been doing it this way for years, even before Quicken moved to the current subscription model. While the preferences don't allow you to specify the location, the manual backup dialog does prompt for a location. It does retain the path to the WD NAS as that was the last placed I saved. I use the full UNC path here but have mapped a number of these shares to my PC. If it matters, I do not sync to Quicken Web or Mobile.

I am on Quicken R57.26 Build 27.1.57.26, and Win11 Pro.

I also noted a post from Quicken Anja in the Product Releases and Announcement Forum regarding the Windows R57.XX release that says:

UPDATE 7/9/24
    Version R57.25 and hotfix version R57.26 are now live and available to all users.
    What’s Fixed (R57.25)
    The alternate row coloring setting is now hidden for reports that don't support it.Some manual backup files were being deleted due to an automated file backup limit.

What’s Fixed (R57.26)
    Issue preventing some users from making local backups of their data files.

Note that this includes fixes for issues with the backup feature. Coincidence? Perhaps. When prompted by Quicken to update when doing the One Step Update, I generally skip it, complete the download of my accounts, reconcile and whatever else I need to do, then update Quicken just before closing out. I then relaunch to verify everything still functions. I can't exactly say when I performed the last Quicken update, but would have been very soon after it was released to the channel.

• Quicken Kristina

Thank you for your reply @nmestanas,

When I try to replicate the issue, the only way I can get my Quicken to fail to give me a manual backup reminder is if I already made a manual backup recently. Are you creating manual backups on your own, without being prompted, and then not getting the reminder when you close Quicken?

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina

• nmestanas

@Quicken Kristina

Again, thanks for looking into this.

Normally, I do not initiate manual backups and wait for the reminder. On occasion, if I made some big changes like recategorizing a bunch of past expenses, or if I had some other issue I will do one myself without the reminder. I understand that this may "reset" the count on the interval.

Based on a suggestion from @Boatnmaniac in another thread, I applied the .26 update manually (downloaded from the Quicken link he supplied) and it made no difference. I prefer not to rollback my Quicken version.

Honestly, it's not that big a deal and I will adjust my own workflow to initiate a manual backup before my NAS based scheduled backups occur.

• Quicken Kristina
    edited July 29 Answer ✓

Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

We have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. In the meantime, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files attached and (if you are willing) a sanitized copy of your data file in order to contribute to the investigation.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams in further investigating the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience!

Thank you.

(CTP-10586)

Quicken Kristina

• eclark
    eclark Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭

Thanks, Quicken Kristina. I have submitted a problem report per your request. Though a longtime user, I'm too old to know what log files and sanitized data files are. But I rely on the user-friendliness (e.g. backup reminders) of the product to continue to use the product. :)

• nmestanas

@Quicken Kristina

Just a quick update. R58.8 dropped this morning and I applied it. I didn't see anything in the release notes regarding backups so it was no surprise that this issue still exists.

I did submit a problem report through Quicken.

• Dan Violette
    Dan Violette Member ✭✭

I also have the issue.

Noticed couple weeks ago that I had gotten a notice so probably was going on for last month and a half or so. I run Quicken every 1-3 days and have Remind me to Manual Backup set for 10.

I installed R58.8 today and ran 10 times again without reminding me.

Dan

• Dan Violette
    Dan Violette Member ✭✭

Sorry - Last note should have said "Noticed couple weeks ago that I had not gotten a notice". R58.9 did not change anything. Still no manual update notices after so many (set in preferences) launches.

• jaws2
    jaws2 Member ✭✭✭

Still a problem with R58.9

• UKR

If you haven't already, recommend you go to Edit / Preferences / Alerts & Messages.
    Click "Reset Quicken warnings", then click OK, stop Quicken, wait a few seconds and then restart Quicken.

This should reset all those "Do not remind me again" or similar checkboxes and bring your backup warning back.

I also recommend you set your "number of uses" for BOTH Manual and Automatic Backups to "1". Be sure both backup types are enabled (checkmarked) and that you direct your manual backups to a different hard drive than C:, a USB stick or networked drive or a folder location whose files are sent to OneDrive, Dropbox or other cloud backup service.
    One can never have enough backup copies. BTDTGTS.

• jaws2
    jaws2 Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 17

Thanks for the suggestion @UKR

Seemed like a good idea but unfortunately that did not work. I'm sure the reset worked because I received a password change reminder. But after opening and closing Quicken more times than than when the manual backup reminder should have kicked in I still receive no manual backup reminder.

• UKR

If you haven't done so already, please do the following actions:

1. Even if you are on the latest software level already, download and install the latest Manual Patch file from https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product to ensure your Quicken software is up to date and correctly installed.
    2. Reboot Windows.
    3. Start Quicken. Do not run One Step Update.
    4. Run BOTH Validate and Supervalidate to attempt to repair your Quicken data file.
    5. If nothing helps,  contact Quicken Support on the phone during posted hours of operation and report this problem. Further research by support or programmers may be required.

Validate and Supervalidate instructions
    First save a backup file prior to performing these steps
    Validate: 
    • Click File
    • Select Validate and Repair File...
    • Select Validate File
    • If the data file contains investment accounts also select "Rebuild investing lots".
    • If you suspect that a damaged Quotes Price History causes your problems, also select "Correct investing price history" functions "Delete" or "Repair and Rebuild".
    • Click OK
    • Review the Data Log. Anything interesting in there, worthwhile posting here?
    • Close Quicken, leave it closed for about 30 secs
    • Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

Super Validate:
    • Click File
    • Press and hold both CTRL and Shift keys while you click Validate and Repair File...
    • Select Supervalidate File
    • Click OK
    • Review the Data Log. Anything interesting in there, worthwhile posting here?
    • Close Quicken, leave it closed for about 30 secs
    • Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

• jaws2
    jaws2 Member ✭✭✭

thanks again for your thoughts @UKR but given other comments including those from @Quicken Kristina , I think this issue is probably not something specific to my computer. The point of my comment was that it still remains an issue in the most recent release.

• UKR

Sorry that I couldn't help you resolve the issue.
    The only recourse (as far as I can see it) is for as many people as are suffering from this problem to call Quicken Support on the phone and report this issue. The more calls, the more likely it is that a fix to this problem will be implemented soon.