Importing Transactions From a Capital One CD Account Now Fails

userJGC
userJGC Member ✭✭

I have several accounts at Capitol One of which one is a certificate of deposit (CD). Starting two months ago, when I download transactions and try importing the QFX file into Quicken for the CD account, it has been failing. I tracked it down to the BANKACCTFROM stanza value of ACCTTYPE in the QFX file is set to "CD" while my Quicken account is set to "SAVINGS". How do I change the setting in Quicken so that I don't have to edit the QFX file each time in order to import the data?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• userJGC
    userJGC Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓

Alright Jasmine… I will continue to edit the QFX file for the current account updates. I'll try to create the next account per the FAQ instructions.

Thanks!

Answers

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod

Hello @userJGC,

Unfortunately, there is no current way to switch the account type on an already active account that is setup online within Quicken. However, I do suggest reviewing this FAQ regarding how to add and track CDs in Quicken.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• userJGC
    userJGC Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓

Alright Jasmine… I will continue to edit the QFX file for the current account updates. I'll try to create the next account per the FAQ instructions.

Thanks!

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod

Hello @userJGC,

You are welcome. Please do not hesitate to reach out with any further questions or concerns!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

CD accounts held at a bank have always been stored in Quicken as Account Type = Savings.
    AFAIK, there is no account type "CD".

A CD account in my data file with an account type of Savings, held at my local Credit Union, downloads fine using One Step Update

IMHO, somebody at Quicken, Intuit and/or the bank needs to review, and possibly change, the data in the downloaded QFX file or change what Quicken Windows accepts in a downloaded QFX file.

@userJGC , may I ask why you are working with downloaded QFX files?
    My Capital One credit card transactions download fine using One Step Update.

• userJGC
    userJGC Member ✭✭

Hi UKR,

I got "burned" once doing a One Step Update. I prefer to go to the bank's website and "download" the data for a specific date range. That way I can manually review the matches in my Quicken ledger.

I'm not certain why Capitol One now creates the QFX file with an account type = "CD". Since it used to work up until two months ago, I presume that they used to specify the account type as "SAVINGS" in the past. (I don't have older downloads saved in order to confirm.)

John C.

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

"I'm not certain why Capitol One now creates the QFX file with an account type = 'CD' ....".

I'm not sure either, likely only Capitol One can answer that.

While CD is a valid OFX account type, Quicken has never allowed an account type of CD.

It should be a simple matter for Capitol One to change their downloaded account type to Savings. But I think it might be almost as simple a matter for Quicken to treat a downloaded ACCTTYPE of CD as if the ACCTTYPE were Savings.

"I prefer to go to the bank's website and 'download' the data for a specific date range. That way I can manually review the matches in my Quicken ledger."

I know of no "review" that can be done with transactions manually downloaded from the bank's website, that can't be done using One Step Update. 

[FYI: if Capitol One is formatting Web Connect downloads differently than Direct Connect downloads (as appears to be the case here), they would not be the first.]

-JP

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.