Category exists (not hidden) but isn't an option in the transaction register

Stacy L
Stacy L Member ✭✭

I have a subcategory of Health & Fitness called Pharmacy. It's in my category list, is not hidden, is part of my budget so it really isn't hidden and has been used twelve times, most recently July 19.

Today I downloaded a transaction and it defaulted to Health & Fitness:Healthcare - I went to change it to Pharmacy and Pharmacy does not exist. "No matching categories" and it asks if I want to create a new category.

If this is user error somehow, great. If not, what's going on?

Answers

• Stacy L
    Stacy L Member ✭✭
    edited August 12

Posted this in the wrong forum - should've been in the Mac forum.

[Moved to Mac forum by Moderator]

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod

Hello @Stacy L,

If you see it on your category list (Window>Categories), then the first thing I would suspect is possibly a typographical error or an extra space snuck in when you were recategorizing the transaction, since something like that could prevent Quicken from recognizing the category.

Did this issue happen just that one time, or is this still happening every time you need to assign that subcategory to a transaction?

I look forward to your reply!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Stacy L
    Stacy L Member ✭✭
    edited August 13

It's not a typo. Please see attached screenshot. There is no Pharmacy subcategory available.

• Stacy L
    Stacy L Member ✭✭

And here's a screenshot showing the subcategory does exist and is not hidden in the categories list.

• Quicken Kristina

Thank you for your reply,

Thank you for the additional information and the screenshots. That isn't normal behavior, and I'm not able to replicate the issue in my own Quicken, which indicates this is most likely a file specific issue.

To troubleshoot this, please restore a backup from before the problem started, and test to see if the issue persists in the newly restored file. When you restore the backup file, please make sure you are putting the file directly on your local hard drive and please do not sync it with cloud services (such as OneDrive, iCloud, or Dropbox).

Please let me know how it goes!

Quicken Kristina

• Stacy L
    Stacy L Member ✭✭

The last time I used that category was 7/19, so I restored the backup from 7/15. Pharmacy isn't displaying as a subcategory. I just deleted it and re-added it and now it's displaying again. Thanks for taking the time to help out with this.

• Quicken Kristina

Thank you for the follow-up,

I'm glad to hear the issue is resolved, and thank you for coming back to post the resolution!

If you need further assistance, please feel free to reach out!

Quicken Kristina

This discussion has been closed.