excel convert to QIF

TWMK19792
TWMK19792 Quicken Canada Subscription Member ✭✭
edited September 22 in All Things Canadian (Windows)

Quicken should support conversion to QIF as my institution missed a bunch of transactions and while I could get them into an Excel sheet I could not get them into Quicken.. had to manually add them all.. very time-consuming.

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 17

There is a freeware conversion program (no ads or malware included) that can convert Excel to QIF: https://www.quicknperlwiz.com/. .

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R59.10 on Windows 11

• TWMK19792

thanks, i tried this but it appears quicken will not accept the file for some reason.. makes no sense and quicken won't provide any support.. very weird as 2 months of statements won't download but i can download them into excel.. i then create my own QIF file to see if that works and both seem to function but nothing appears in Quicken.. so it looks like i will need to manually insert every missed transaction. waste of time.

• Boatnmaniac

Your profile shows you are using Quicken Canada Subscription. Is this correct and is your Subscription active?

Are you running Mac or Windows?

Who is the financial institution and what type(s) of account(s)?

Were you able to successfully download directly from them into Quicken before?

Have you gotten any error codes or error messages? If so, what are they?

• TWMK19792

yes active and Canadian

Windows

CIBC

yes it is very weird.. only 2 months of data will not upload but the rest is fine..

no error codes just states nothing to download.. even when i downloaded the excel version of the transactions and converted them the system would not accept the QIF file. perhaps i did something wrong but Quicken will not support.. very frustrating.

• Boatnmaniac
    edited August 17

Thanks for confirming what edition of Quicken you are using. I have asked the Moderators to move this thread to the All Things Canadian category. That will hopefully cause other Canadian users to jump into this discussion.

In QWin USA, CIBC supports the Web Connect (WC) connection method. This is where you log into your online account and download transactions in a QFX formatted file (sometimes also referred to as "Quicken" or "Web Connect" files). Does your CIBC bank allow you to download in this kind of file? If so, you should be able to easily manually download and import that file directly into Quicken with no file manipulations/conversions required at all.

Oh, and I should say that the ImportQIF conversion app I'd mentioned in my earlier post above does more than simply convert Excel (and CSV, QIF and OFX) files into QIF. It converts it in such a way that it can then be imported into Quicken. You'd need to read through the instructions on that website to see how to accomplish that.

• TWMK19792

yes, i did that and it still states no transactions even when trying to upload the QFX from the CIBC account. yes I believe I already have the app but the file continues to not want to import the transactions.. so no matter which qif or qfx file i use, they don't seem to want to work.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭✭

For the QFX file from the financial institution. It is entirely possible that there are no new transactions in it. Without inspecting the QFX file (which can be done with a text editor) there isn't any way to tell what they put in it. Also note that each transaction has a unique Id that Quicken records when the transaction is imported into Quicken (into a given account). Once it records that unique Id it will not import that transaction again even if you have deleted it from your account.

QIF files on the other hand do not have unique Ids and so about the only reasons transactions wouldn't be imported is because either the transactions aren't in the QIF file, or there is some kind of syntax error in the QIF file. In this case since this is a conversion from Excel/CSV to QIF the most likely cause is that the mapping for the columns is wrong in some way and as such the transactions aren't actually being converted and put into the QIF file. Again, a QIF file like the QFX file is just a text file that can be edited with a text editor to see if there are in fact any transactions in the file. In both cases the format of these files might be a bit strange/hard to read but when just looking for a certain payee/amount it is pretty easy to see if it is there or not.

I'm the author of ImportQIF and I'm certainly willing to help you to find out why it isn't working for you, but not here. This is a Quicken forum, and such troubleshooting like that shouldn't be done here. You can fill out a contact forum and we can discuss it through email.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • TWMK19792

yeah would have to check but seeing as i downloaded the excel sheet with transactions at the same time, it makes no sense that the QFX would be missing the transactions.

yeah either way very frustrating and quicken should support clients with these alternatives if the option should crop up.

thanks for offering to help.. very nice of you. sure i will go to your site and fill that in now. much appreciated.

• Chris_QPW

yeah would have to check but seeing as i downloaded the excel sheet with transactions at the same time, it makes no sense that the QFX would be missing the transactions.

I have personally seen these be different. It really depends on how they generate the two, there isn't anything that guarantees that they will be the same. Quicken Inc really can't do anything about that since they don't generate these files. On the other hand, if the transactions are in there, and the syntax is correct, even though it is pretty unlikely, there maybe something in Quicken that is causing problems. But until that QFX file is looked at and this is determined, it is unlikely that Quicken Inc will take any action. For that kind of action you would have to contact Quicken support.

Official Quicken® Support - Phone, Chat, or Community

Signature:
  • Boatnmaniac

You could try something to see if this might be some issue with your data file or with the data in the downloaded file:

1. Go to File > New Quicken File. Name it something unique…TEST would be a good name to use. No need to set up any accounts in it.
    2. If you still have that QFX file saved on your hard drive: Go to File > File Import > Web Connect (.QFX) File > locate & select the QFX file on your hard drive > Open.
    3. Quicken should now open that QFX file and import the data into the TEST file. You should be prompted to decide what to do with the data. Select Add Account.
    4. Review the account that was created and the data that was imported into it. Does it look correct?

• TWMK19792

I think I figured it out at long last.. I forgot that the last time I downloaded the files it included all my transactions from a year back. I am not sure why that was but I am guessing CIBC did something that caused all those extra transactions to be uploaded... So I had to go through and delete all the duplicates. I restored an old save point and I think I figured out what happened... I must have become a little too zealous and deleted files that had never been added to my registry. this explains why the system would not allow me to add them again. I have gone back to the old save point and will start afresh from there.. shame as I had done a lot of reconciling since then but nice to know the issue.. every once in a while I have had issues like this with institutions that change something on the back end causing all the transactions to be redownloaded again.. very annoying.

• Chris_QPW

Another way to handle the fact that you deleted QFX or otherwise downloaded transactions (other than with QIF) is to deactivate the account for downloading. Then create another account and import into that account. Since Quicken stores the unique Ids "per account" this new account will not block importing any of the old transactions. You can then copy the transactions you need to the original account, delete the new account, and then reconnect/download into the old account.

Signature:
  • Arctic Hare
    Arctic Hare Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭

Or create a temporary file, download into that file, export the transactions you need, and then import those transactions into your working file.

• TWMK19792

ah smart ideas.. i wish i did that.. oh well i just reverted back to the old account and then went through all of them again… took a while but got it done finally.

This discussion has been closed.