Delete elusive orphan investing transaction

Been using Quicken for more than 20 years so my data file is robust. I recently ran an Asset Allocation report for the first time. and noticed an odd entry under 'Other asset class' for an investing transaction that is not associated with any account, including the one it actually should be on. The only place I see this errant transaction is on the Asset Allocation report and I can't seem to drill down to it through any other means. My Quicken and brokerage account for this security (VWINX) balances to the penny - no issues there, and Schwab is the only account through which I've ever owned VWINX.

It's not the end of the world to have this show up on my allocations since my actual balances are perfect and the amount is inconsequential but it bugs me and I'd like to delete it.

Attached are images from the Asset Allocation report where this Other asset type reflects this orphan, and the lots for VWINX that show this orphan at the top of the list in bold. The other transactions are all greyed, have dates and reflect the account. No matter how I drill down, with every Quicken account, security, closed lots, etc., visible, I can't get to this transaction. I've searched the amount $51.93, as well as the shares 1.891 and no results.

I've validated and repaired investing lots and that was no help. Is there some secret to finding an orphan transaction that's not tied to an account?

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

The Asset Allocation report does not show transactions, it shows the portion of each of your securities that is assigned to each of Quicken's asset classes.

To see what is happening, go to Tools > Security List and click on the name of the security to open the Security Detail View. This will show the percentage of the security that is in each asset class. Normally this is downloaded from Quicken's quote provider, but you can set it manually if you want. The downloaded percentages are currently 63% Domestic bonds, 20% Large cap, 12% Small cap, 5% International, and 1% Cash.

To eliminate the allocation to Other, click on Edit details and select Download asset class information, or Define to set your own allocations. If you are downloading the info, you must update quotes to use Quicken's numbers.

QWin Premier subscription
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

The Asset Allocation report is a touch odd in my opinion. Basically and for this type of case, the report looks at the asset allocation for the fund (usually downloaded data) and multiplied shares times percent to get shares for that allocation.

So if the allocation percentage to Other was 1% and you had 189.1 shares in the account(s), the report would show 1.891 shares at the daily price.

As I add VWINX to my test file, nothing shows for the Other asset class. So I suggest you edit the security details, and check the asset class mixture, and check the box to download that mixture. There are cases where that mixture data does get out of date.

• jmeander312
    jmeander312 Member ✭✭

I had already downloaded the asset class mixtures for all my securities but for some reason the 1% Other was still sticking and I hadn't realized that was abnormal, or the connection to the allocation report. Just downloaded again, refreshed the quotes and it's still there, so I used Define to adjust everything looks good now.

Makes me wonder about my other securities and the downloaded mixtures being inaccurate (out of date.) Feels like Quicken is reporting a bit more equity-heavy than I'd expected. I'll have to check out Quicken's mixtures vs. online reference data when I have some time.

Thanks for the help!

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Fidelity Investments shows a different allocation for the fund. The last 2 entries, from Fidelity, would seem to explain your difference.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

I generally set the allocations myself rather than relying on Quicken's downloaded data, but you must monitor the allocations for actively managed funds, where the allocations sometimes change significantly.

QWin Premier subscription