How to fix for creating duplicate transaction during download?

tobewan
tobewan Quicken Windows Other Member ✭✭

Checking account set to Auto create transaction.

8/28 - manually entered check # 3936

9/1 - did OSU and downloaded bank transactions including # 3936

Manually entered transaction shows as matched to downloaded transaction.

BUT it created a new transaction for the downloaded transaction that had already been matched!!!

I have several other check transactions manually entered before download that look identical to this scenario and a duplicate transaction was NOT created!

Am I to conclude that if you manually enter transactions before download that the Auto create should always be turned off because Quicken matching is a crap shoot?

Corollary is that if you have Auto create turned on, just resign yourself to editing them all after download and never enter them manually beforehand?

Or is there something I'm missing?

TIA

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

I never use Auto create, and I always input txn soon after they happen.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Tom Young
    Tom Young Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, "Matching" in Quicken is a bit of a crap-shoot. It doesn't work perfectly each and every time, it's just not that smart.

If all your other entries that fit that pattern - manual entry some days before the transaction downloads - do work properly then I'd probably just shrug off that one outlier.

I've never been enamored with Automatic Entry. It seems like it's just too easy to miss some problem, like maybe a fraud transaction, using that approach.

• tobewan
    tobewan Quicken Windows Other Member ✭✭

Thanks! Will turn off Auto create. Now if they would fix Bank Bill Pay, I'd be a happy Quickener…

This discussion has been closed.