Why is Interest Income from Vanguard Cash Plus account showing an additional debit as MiscExp?

JRZzMom0
JRZzMom0 Member ✭✭

I receive monthly interest income from my Vanguard Cash Plus account. It enters as IntInc on one line, then MiscExp on the next line. I have to manually change the MiscExp to Bought and enter the shares bought so that it records the correct balance. My Vanguard transaction history shows it as Reinvested. Why is it downloading as an expense? How can I fix this?

Answers

• Hello @JRZzMom0,

To assist with this issue, please provide more information. When did you first notice this behavior? If you have more than one account with this type of transaction, how many of the accounts are affected by this issue?

I look forward to your response!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• JRZzMom0
    JRZzMom0 Member ✭✭

I have two Cash Plus accounts with Vanguard, and it occurs with both. The first account was added in January of this year, and the second account was added this week. I am sure it is the way Vanguard manages these accounts. My workaround is to change the MiscExp entry to Bought, but I have to do this manually with every download.

• Thank you for your reply,

Have you spoken to Vanguard about this issue? If this is being caused by the way they send the data to Quicken, then they may be able to change the way they send that data, so it reflects correctly in Quicken.

You mentioned that you have to correct this every download. To clarify, is this a transaction that happens frequently in your accounts, or are transactions that were already in your register changing after the download?

I'm not sure if it's less work than manually correcting the transactions every time, but one thing you may be able to do in Quicken is manually input the transactions into your register so that when they download from the financial institution, they'll have the correct version of the transaction to match to. If the transaction is always very similar (for example, all details except the date are the same), then you may be able to memorize the investment transaction, to make it faster to manually enter. For more information on memorized investment transactions, please read this help article.

I hope this helps!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.