american express - problem adding as online biller

nstevens
nstevens Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭

can not add american express to bills and income as online biller. Put in id and password and it says authenticating but it never does. Just times out. Is there a problem adding american express to bills and income tab

Comments

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Quicken Windows Subscription Moderator mod

Hello @nstevens,

To assist with this issue, I checked on our end, and it's showing a successful connection with American Express. Were you able to get it connected, or is it still showing that it failed to connect in your Quicken file?

I look forward to your reply!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Greg Ford
    Greg Ford Member ✭✭

I cannot pay AMEX through BillPay. I can download my transactions, but can't get Quicken to download bills. Says it is still trying to connect and there is a "Fixit" button, but each time it says it is still trying to connect and there is nothing more for me to do. It has been this way for at least 3-4 weeks.

• UKR
    UKR Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

If your bank recently required you to reauthorize your account and/or your bank has changed from "Direct Connect" to "Express Web Connect" or "Express Web Connect+" you can no longer use Online Bill Pay direct to the bank or Quicken Bill Manager's Quick Pay function. The bank no longer supports this function through Quicken. And that's most likely the reason why you're seeing problems with AmEx.

IMHO, you have these alternatives (in no particular order of preference):

1. Use Quicken Bill Manager's Check Pay making sure to submit payment early enough (at least 3 weeks before due date) to allow time for delivery and processing. Note: limited number of free transactions per month.
    2. Every month logon to the bank's website and, using the bank's Bill Pay service, schedule your bill pay payments to be executed by the bank from your checking account. In parallel to that, in Quicken use a regular Scheduled Reminder to record your payment. Repeat both actions every time another payment is due.
    3. Bypass Bill Manager. Let the biller's (or credit card company's) computer system do all the work for you. Logon to the biller's website once and set up their Autopay, APS, Direct debit, etc. service to make the current payment and all future payments on Due Date directly from your checking account. In parallel to that, in Quicken, every month, record a regular Scheduled Reminder to keep track of your payments before they come due.
    4. Write (or print with Quicken) a paper check and mail it to the biller, making sure to mail payment early enough (at least 10 days before due date) to allow time for delivery and processing.

I've been using method #3 for decades, since before the Internet and transaction download capabilities were even introduced. It's easy to get used to this process. And I have yet to miss a single payment.

• xlnja
    xlnja Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭

Same here. I have tried connecting the AMEX biller at various times for more than a year, and still get the "still trying to connect" error and "Fixit" button. I do not want to pay the AMEX bill through Quicken. I merely want Quicken to update my monthly bill payment amount in order to forecast. Is this possible?

• Quicken Kristina

Hello @xlnja,

To troubleshoot this issue, please provide more information. Has it ever successfully connected? If so, what caused it to disconnect? Do you see any error messages? When you attempt to connect it and it goes into that "still waiting to connect" status, how long do you wait before deleting/trying again?

I look forward to your reply!

Quicken Kristina

• xlnja

@Quicken Kristina It used to work about 18 months ago. I there was a change in connection on the AMEX side but can't be sure. Every time I have tried to reconnect, it returns with the "still trying to connect" error and "Fixit" button. One time, I left the connection there for weeks while occasionally clicking the "Fixit" button, but it never got fixed. Eventually, I deleted the connection, and then tried reconnecting a few more times up until now. Basically, the issue has remained unchanged for the entire 18 months.

• Quicken Kristina

Thank you for your reply,

So that I can report the issue and have it looked into further, please attempt to reconnect and do not delete the connection. Once you have done that, please let me know so I can report the issue.

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina

• xlnja

@Quicken Kristina It looks like someone fixed something on the backend because it is working now. It came up with the window, "Your American Express account needs additional information to be validated", which it had never done before. So whatever you did, this is fixed. Thank you!

• Quicken Kristina

Thank you for the follow-up,

I'm glad to hear it connected!

If you need further assistance, please feel free to reach out!

Quicken Kristina

• This content has been removed.