Scripting APIs

snow-flake
snow-flake Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭
edited September 27 in Product Enhancements

I would like to build some scripts to import data into quicken. Is there any developer community and/or API references that I can use? I was thinking of a simple file-based upload (if possible). Does anyone have the various import file formats to share, and/or other developer resources to point me to? This is for my own use right now, but if I develop something useful, perhaps there is an add-on marketplace to share it in.. ?

4 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• snow-flake

Also, I see that the ability to import paystub details has been requested in the past. This is the first use case that I had planned to tackle — I have every paystub from my employer downloaded, and I want to write a script to parse it (easy), and then either format into a quicken-friendly file format for upload, or somehow otherwise bulk import it via API.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 28

Quicken does not have any documented APIs.

You might want to review this discussion

and this one

A paycheck is a complex split transaction in Quicken including transfers to other accounts, so you may or may not be successful using one of the supported import formats.

Another approach for paychecks might be use a keyboard macro generator to jam keystrokes into Quicken's Paycheck Wizard.

Quicken now lists "Mint-compatible CSV" as an import format, but I have not seen any discussion of how successful people have been with that for complex transactions.

QWin Premier subscription
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl Quicken Windows Other SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Do your paychecks change a lot each time? Have you set up a scheduled reminder to automatically enter it?

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• snow-flake

Thank you @Jim_Harman for those posts! Yes my paystubs are quite complex I would say, but it should be very straightforward for me to parse the PDFs into simple categories (I am okay with losing a bit of the detail in the process). I will dabble around with it to exercise my new python skills!

Thank you @volvogirl this is a great suggestion. In the 90s we used Quicken for a while and are back to it nearly 20 years later. The biggest failing from our 90s endeavor was not keeping up with it. We are determined not to let that happen this time! Thanks for the reminder!

• UKR
    UKR Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Does anybody still remember the Palm Pilot handheld computing device of the 1990s?
    And the Pocket Quicken companion app available in those days?

Pocket Quicken was only possible because Quicken did have an API available … until the API was withdrawn around 2010, if I remember correctly.

IMHO, it's very unlikely that you will ever see another publicly available API so that third parties may gain access to the Quicken data file internals. Oh, how hackers would love to have that in their grubby little fingers!