How do I print a list of my Categories? (Q Mac)

robertleedy
robertleedy Quicken Mac Subscription Member ✭✭
edited September 29 in Reports (Mac)

I am answering my own question because no one has answered this and the same posted questions I have seen for Macs are closed.

WHY Quicken can not make this an easy option, I do not understand.

Windows users talk about pulling up the Category List and using the keyboard shortcut to print. This is not possible in Quicken for Mac.

The only solution I see is to do a screenshot - Shift/Command/5 - retrieve them from your desktop and print the list that way.

Quicken Classic for Mac version 7.9.1; MacOS 14.6.1

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs Quicken Mac Subscription SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta

Your conclusion is correct: there is currently no capability for printing the category list in Quicken Mac. Why? They simply haven't gotten around to coding it yet. With the hundreds of feature requests over the years, the developers have apparently felt this is lower on the list of needs than many other things, so it's still not implemented.

There is an Idea thread (feature request) for this functionality here:

I suggest you add you vote, and add a comment. (When people add comments it bumps the topic to the top of the recent discussions list, so more people may see it and vote for it as well.)

My guess is that this will be added at some point in the future, but when is anyone's guess. Until the developers change the stats from "Under Consideration" to "Planned", it means it's not yet on their calendar. More votes can help propel that change.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • RickO
    RickO Quicken Mac Subscription SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta

The workaround is to screenshot the Categories window a page at a time. (I know it's a pain.) Now that macOS Preview does very good OCR, it's pretty easy to copy the text out of the screenshots and paste it into a document for printing to get it more condensed.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • jamie84
    jamie84 Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭

Prior to buying my 1st Mac, I was a Windows user and have been using Quicken since the beginning. I switched to Mac after I retired since I no longer needed my PC for work purposes. My biggest regret to the switch is Quicken. There are SO many features lacking in the Mac version. Every time I come across a missing feature, I ask myself "Why am I paying the same subscription price as a Windows user?" I really think there should be a separate pricing structure for each platform. They cannot give us a Print a Category Listing option. Really?

• jacobs
    jacobs Quicken Mac Subscription SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 5

@jamie84 Every feature takes time to design, code and test. The Quicken Mac development team is quite small, so even though this might be a fairly easy feature to add, it's a question of which features they decide to prioritize. I'm confident this will get implemented at some point, but in my opinion it's just not seen as critical a need as other missing or under-powered features.

You can add your vote for this feature here:

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993