Quicken opening Internet Explorer application

almatav
almatav Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭

Today I ran Quicken R59.6 and got a window titled "Introducing Online Backup." When I clicked the "Get Started" button, Quicken launched the linked page in Internet Explorer. Note: not in Edge running IE mode (which is enabled). But Internet Explorer. I even verified that the running task was iexplore.exe, and that if you go to C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\ and run iexplore.exe, it loads in Edge… not in Windows.

What's going on here? Quicken should absolutely not be running instances of iexplore.exe. It should especially not be doing so to advertising something that is as sensitive as an online backup of user financial data! What on earth is happening here?!

Windows 11 Pro 23H2 build 22631.4169.

Quicken Classic Premier R59.6 build 27.1.59.6

Comments

• UKR
    UKR Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Which browser is configured as the Default Browser in Windows? That's usually the one selected when an application opens a webpage "in your browser".

P.S.: I would wait a few more days before attempting to activate Online Backup. If you read the discussions here in the Community, some users have reported issues with the new backup process.
    Give the programmers a few days to iron out those wrinkles.

• almatav
    almatav Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭

Chrome has all browser defaults other than PDFs and Office-specific file protocols.

Ordinarily I’d agree with you but Quicken opening IE is a recurring issue in these forums and frankly probably a security issue at that. Nothing should be executing iexplore.exe full stop, and especially in ways that don’t just open edge.

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod

Hello @almatav,

We will be forwarding this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. However, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem within your Quicken program and submit a problem report with log files and screenshots attached in order to contribute to the investigation. It would also aid the investigation to include a sanitized file when submitting the problem report. A sanitized file is a data file that removes personally identifiable information so you can comfortably share this file with the Quicken team.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams in further investigating the issue.

We apologize for any inconvenience in the meantime! Thank you.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.