What can I rename or modify to allow me to install an older version of Quicken?

David - Church
David - Church Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭

For about a year I have not been able to use my new version of Quicken Classic because of problems with the Current Budget report (I have two other questions about this problem and Quicken says it is a known problem and they are "working on it"). If I try to install my older version of Quicken on this computer, I get an error stating that another version of Quicken is already installed on this computer. I would prefer to not delete this current version of Quicken. Is there something I can rename or do that would allow me to install my older version of Quicken and be able to switch back and forth? Would it be possible to install the older version on a USB drive and just plug it in when I want to use it?

Current version - 27.1.59.6
Old version 0 22.1.12.7

Thanks for any help you can provide.

David

Answers

• volvogirl
    volvogirl Quicken Windows Other SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

No. You can only have 1 version installed. There is a way to go back to a prior release but I don’t know how to do that. But if you want to install a prior version you need to delete the current version. But you might not be able to open your data in an earlier version. What version do you have and what old version do you want to install?

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭✭

Old version 0 22.1.12.7

Is Quicken 2013, and as such you can't open the Quicken Subscription data file in it. You would have to go through error prone process of exporting/importing a QIF file even to try to get a working copy of your Quicken data file. And as @volvogirl said to install Quicken 2013 you would have uninstall Quicken Subscription (after exporting the QIF).

One thing I don't get is you said:

For about a year I have not been able to use my new version of Quicken Classic

Did you upgrade to Quicken Subscription and find that you couldn't use the budget in it, or have you been using Quicken Subscription for longer than that and a newer version of Quicken Subscription has a bug in that prevents you from using your budget?

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • David - Church

Thank you to @volvogirl and @Chris_QPW for your responses.

@volvogirl
    The versions I am referring to are:
    Current version - 27.1.59.6 - Quicken Classic Deluxe - current subscription (not being used actively)
    Old version 0 22.1.12.7 - Quicken Starter Edition 2013 - being used for actual work on another computer (a very, heavy computer not good for transporting)

@Chris_QPW
    I have only been using my old Quicken Starter Edition 2013 on an old, heavy computer which is a pain to transport. Last year we "upgraded" to the subscription Quicken Classic Deluxe on a new computer. When I transferred my backup file over to the new computer (and newer Quicken) one of the main reports that I use to give to our Board, Current Budget report, does not show actual values other than zero. This is totally unusable for me, so I have had to keep using the old computer and old version of Quicken. I have contacted Quicken a number of times to get this resolved and it is currently a "known problem with no ETA for a resolution" from Quicken. So, I don't need to transfer the new subscription backup file to the older version of Quicken. I am not sure I answered your questions fully, but feel free to ask more questions if you want to understand my situation.

Thanks again for your responses.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

IIRC, you can't go from Deluxe to Starter either. Starter expects to be your FIRST Q product …not a successor product.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• David - Church

@NotACPA thanks for your comment. Obviously I am not explaining myself very well. Sorry about that. The only Quicken that works properly for me is the Starter version. I am taking the backup from there and putting it in the Deluxe subscription version, but I am not staying there and doing real work in there because of the report problem.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭✭

@David - Church

Given that all you want to do is transfer Quicken 2013 and its data file to the new computer, you can do that by uninstalling Quicken Subscription and installing Quicken 2013 there and restoring the backup file from the old computer. You can't run both versions on the same machine though.

Note that there is also a Quicken 2013 Deluxe version available for free from this article.

Convert Data From an Earlier Version of Quicken (When to Use an Intermediate Version) | Quicken

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/