When converting from QWin QMac changed a Bond Mutual Fund to a Bond and everything is off by a facto

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited August 2018 in Investing (Mac)

I have many transactions going back to 2010. Transactions appear accurate but off by a factor of 10.  I've been working around this for a while and concurrently using Windows but would like to return back to the Mac version. 

Comments

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018

What version of QM2015 are you using? The current version is 2.8.7 and there was a change released in v2.8.6 to address the following:

Change: In the past 6 months bond face values started appearing incorrectly in the portfolio view for some customers. The reason for this is that some financial institutions changed the way they sent bond information to Quicken resulting in incorrect bond face values. Because of this we've changed the way Quicken calculates bond values which should result in the correct bond value being shown for the vast majority of bonds. However, this change does mean that a small number of bonds such as savings bonds will no longer work correctly. Unfortunately we can't support both. This brings Quicken Mac's bond calculations in line with Quicken Windows. - See more at: http://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2015-mac-release-notes
    (If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to flag it as such, so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2016

What version of QM2015 are you using? The current version is 2.8.7 and there was a change released in v2.8.6 to address the following:

Change: In the past 6 months bond face values started appearing incorrectly in the portfolio view for some customers. The reason for this is that some financial institutions changed the way they sent bond information to Quicken resulting in incorrect bond face values. Because of this we've changed the way Quicken calculates bond values which should result in the correct bond value being shown for the vast majority of bonds. However, this change does mean that a small number of bonds such as savings bonds will no longer work correctly. Unfortunately we can't support both. This brings Quicken Mac's bond calculations in line with Quicken Windows. - See more at: http://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2015-mac-release-notes
    (If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to flag it as such, so others will know, thanks.)

I'm using the latest 2.8.7 . Problem is when I converted from Windows it treated a Vanguard bond fund as if it was an individual bond. It only did it once for this fund though I have other bond funds and they came across fine.  Is there a way I can transfer the transactions to a newly created Security i.e. Bond Fund? Have about 30 or so transactions and prefer not to enter manually. Also I was trying to insert a screen shot or copy paste something here to illustrate what I mean but could not figure how .
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

Do not know the answer to transfer of transactions...I do not think there is a direct way, though there may be a work-around.
    As for load image, at this time you can only load attachments to the original post or any new ANSWER post, not a comment.

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2016

Thanks . Perhaps you know a way to delete this security. I've given up on trying to move the transactions. So I thought I could start fresh and create a new security with the proper type but I can't create a new security with the same symbol.  Can you help ?
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

sorry...do not know enough on this one to be of significant help. Have you tried contacting support for some ideas? Or someone else may jump in...
    [mention://68099 @JM] Any thoughts on this one?

• Bob@63
    Bob@63 Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017

I encountered this same problem when I migrated from Q-Windows 2017 to Q-Mac 2018. Eventually tracked the problem to the migration having converted the "type" designation of the two bond mutual funds in question from "Mutual Fund" in Q-Windows to "Bond" in Q-Mac.

Sadly, Q-Mac 2017 didn't allow the user to change the "type" from "Bond" to "Mutual Fund" (as one could in Q-Windows).

Recently, following subsequent upgrade from Q-Mac 2017 to Q-Mac 2018, I fixed the problem by changing the "Asset Class" to "index" from "domestic bond." I can't even tell you if this was something I could have done in Q-Mac 2017 but didn't try. 

But in any event, it seems to have resolved the problem. The most recent transaction downloaded recorded the transaction prices correctly, even though the security type is still listed incorrectly as "Bond." 
  • lizingrid
    lizingrid Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018

I just changed the asset class in Mac Q 2018, yet the data is still interpreted as off by 100 fold...is it necessary to record a new transaction to make the change to the misinterpreted Market value?
  • Bob@63
    Bob@63 Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018

I had same problem. Call up security in edit mode and change security type to the correct type, probably mutual fund. That should fix problem going forward. Prior downloads can be changed manually by adjusting the price/share by shifting decimal.
This discussion has been closed.