Download Flags for New Transactions (updated to include all versions of QMac) (98 Legacy Votes)

One thing I really miss from the Windows version is the red flags that would appear next to the account names that indicated new transactions were downloaded during a one-step update.  I realize we have the pop-up window, but the type font is small and difficult to see.  If you can't do the red flag, then perhaps the text in the popup window could appear in bold for accounts that downloaded new transactions.  Hope this is a helpful suggestion.
6 votes

Under Consideration · Last Updated

Submitted for review Dec 2020 - CTP-7659

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Alumni
    edited September 2017
    Hi Chris,

What version of Quicken for Mac (2015, 2016, etc.) are you are using.

Thanks,
    Dave
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016
    Dave:  Using 2016 for US.  Thanks for the fast follow-up, please keep me posted!

Chris
  • Quicken Marcus
    Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Can you help me better understand the ultimate goal for the feature request.  I personally just go to All Accounts and review all the new transactions that have come in from all my accounts in a single place.  Since I look at this regularly I have a good sense of what's new but you can also select the Status drop down and select Last Downloaded to see the transactions that were in the last download.  The All Accounts view meets my needs but let me know if you're trying to get at a different requirement.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016

Can you help me better understand the ultimate goal for the feature request.  I personally just go to All Accounts and review all the new transactions that have come in from all my accounts in a single place.  Since I look at this regularly I have a good sense of what's new but you can also select the Status drop down and select Last Downloaded to see the transactions that were in the last download.  The All Accounts view meets my needs but let me know if you're trying to get at a different requirement.

From a purely Windows user standpoint I will give you my work flow.
    Run One Step Update, look at the account bar.  Accounts that have transactions to be accepted have a red flag (blue dot if using automatic entry and there are transactions to be reviewed).

Click on account name with a flag/blue dot, accept/review transactions.
    Repeat for each account.

Even though the Windows version also has the All Transactions "register" I doubt most Windows users even realize it is there.  Most are just use to going to the register in question.

Also there a difference depending on if they are using automatic transaction entry or not.  If they are using automatic transaction entry they can go to the All Transactions "register" and review them from there (blue dots on new transactions).

But if they are not using automatic transaction entry then the only way to accept the transactions into the register is with the Downloaded Transactions tab that appears at the bottom of each register.  The All Transactions register doesn't have this.

Also I might add that in the Windows "All Transactions" register you can't see invest accounts, so going there is dead stop for those kinds of transactions.

Is that possible in Quicken Mac?
  • J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

Speaking as both a QWin and a QMac user - the flag in QWin is a constant reminder that there are accounts with transactions to review. The flag remains until such time as the user visits the flagged account.

My review process is to open the individual account register and do the review process there. Part of the review process is to check for proper matching and to quickly review account balances - both current and projected.

The problem that I have with the All Accounts view is the pain in switching views and then setting the register filter to display the new downloads. Then one has to repeatedly come back to refresh ones memory on accounts to review. I have found this to be too much trouble and simply do not use it.

For QMac, I have developed the habit of scanning the Account Status pop-up following download and mentally note accounts with new downloads - then try to remember to check them all. Trying to remember is the weakness of this method for me.

For QWin, the flag eliminates the need to remember - except for remembering what the flag is for :<)
    QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016
    Marcus--my fellow users above have outlined how i historically used the flagging feature in QWin.  I also used the flagging to monitor activity on rarely used credit cards.  I have some cards from retailers that I only use when exceptional offers are made, usually long term financing with 0% interest.  Most of the time these accounts sit with a $0 balance.  But more than once I noticed activity on those accounts that I didn't initiate because of the flag.  As a result I was able to address the hacked accounts with the vendor before it got out of hand.  As JM mentions above, I do scan the Account Status popup, but the text is small and--for my eyes--hard to distinguish.  
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

In QM2007, the flag remains until all transactions in that register that were downloaded are processed. Downloaded transactions are kept separate too until each is matched, accepted or deleted.

Much cleaner, good ongoing reminder of where and WHAT still needs attention. Better control of outstanding work...can start and stop at any point without losing any info.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

P.S. This should apply equally to ALL versions of Quicken.

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

You can now VOTE for the feature to have an indicator for accounts with downloaded transactions that need attention, here:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/add-indicator-to-identify-accounts-with-download...

Be sure to go there and click VOTE at the top to increase the count and therefore its visibility to the developers.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

@Marcus, your workflow assumes that one can pull up Last Downloaded on an ongoing regular basis. What of the scenario when a user falls behind?

Case in point, I am presently about 9-10 behind on reconciling many of my accounts. What I do is download all the data, so I do not lose it (many of my FI/banks only provide download data going back 3 months). Then I work through that data at my leisure.

Using the All Accounts view is unwieldy as there would be far too much data with multiple downloads not yet processed for the same account. I need to work on one account at a time with lots of download data, verify and adjust the matching, categorization, totals, etc. I can take either of 2 paths: plough through many months in one account OR I may flip back and forth with other accounts in the same month. And I have dozens of account to work with at the same time. 

And just like JM, I do all the review of downloads as one complete process. In QM2007, the two were linked so you can work in the downloads list and see the matching at the same time and be part of the reconciliation process all at the same time.

This is one main reason I (and others) raise the requests to Restore Transactions Downloading Acceptance and Matching workflow and the Option to Have Debits and Credits Tallied Separately for Reconciliation Process, to achieve this. (see also my notes 2 post up).

So the first step is to be able to easily identify which accounts have downloaded transactions that still need attention/review. And to be able to isolate that account and work within it to review matching, categorization, and perform reconciliation, all the while knowing which transactions are the downloaded ones that need processing.

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Add Indicator to identify accounts with downloaded transactions that need attenti....

In QM2007, the flag remains until all transactions in that register that were downloaded are processed. Downloaded transactions are kept separate too until each is matched, accepted or deleted. (see IDEA posted here: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/restore-transactions-downloading-acceptance-and-...)

Much cleaner, good ongoing reminder of where and WHAT still needs attention. Better control of outstanding work...can start and stop at any point without losing any info, and indicator does not disappear unless there are no more transactions.

(If you find this feature helpful, please be sure to click "VOTE" at the top to increase the count and therefore its visibility by the developers, thanks.)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016

I am also missing this feature. In Windows version the red flag indicated I had transactions to review. I have to go into each of my accounts to see if there are transactions to review.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

Be sure to click VOTE at the top of the page to increase the count and therefore its visibility to the developers.

If you do not click VOTE at the top of the page, your vote will NOT be counted!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016
    This feature has been sorely missed. Something as simple as a little blue dot to the left of the account name in the account column on the left when there are new transactions waiting to be reviewed in that account.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2016
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Requested Merge.

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Flag accounts with new transactions.Please add the feature that flags any account to which new or matched transactions are downloaded during online sync. Having to read through the sync report to determine which accounts have new transactions associated with them is just plain silly. Windows versions of Quicken have done this forever. This comment falls in line with a number of my other comments here that have to do with user interface issues having a tendency to be unfriendly or helpful compared to the Windows products. Please add this flag feature as quickly as possible. 

Thank you!

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Add Indicator to identify accounts with downloaded transactions that need attenti....
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Requested removal and Merge.

You may want to review and VOTE for other feature requests related to the Transactions Downloading Acceptance and Matching workflow, here: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/restore-transactions-downloading-acceptance-and-...

Start at the top for the first one, then scroll down the reply list for additional related feature requests. Be sure to go to each link separately, then click VOTE at the top to increase the count and therefore its visibility to the developers.

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Add Indicator to identify accounts with downloaded transactions that need attenti....

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Requested merge - SU.

I also highly recommend that you browse through the IDEAS section of this forum and VOTE for the request of each of the missing features to be added back into Quicken for Mac....to help direct the priorities of the developers.

To do that, I suggest you read this FAQ on how to filter the IDEAS to just show the ones for the Mac version, then VOTE to your heart's content:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-getsat-faq-how-to-filter-conversations-d...

The following are some of the many feature requests you will find: and many others.

Be sure to scroll down each page, as some contain lists of related features. Click on the link to EACH IDEA separately that you are interested in, then click the VOTE button at the top of EACH page that opens up respectively to increase the count and therefore its visibility to the developers.

If you do not click VOTE at the top of the page of each feature, your vote will NOT be counted for THAT specific feature!

• Dale Mericle
    Dale Mericle Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Download all New Transactions.

There should be some indication that a new transaction has been downloaded in the Accounts Column. It should be unnecessary to go though all accounts individually.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    The feature has been very helpful to me over the years (using the Windows version) given that it helps me understand which accounts I need to review.  Importantly, given that the data aggregation/download process is an imperfect one, it has helped me understand and correct a variety of issues issues.  In particular, as mentioned in a previous comment, it has helped me catch credit card fraud very early.  I suspect that if a user only downloads a couple of accounts it may not seem important, but with volume, the need for this feature becomes readily apparent.  I feel this to be a 'must have' feature to make a full transition to the Mac version.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Ruegs said:

The feature has been very helpful to me over the years (using the Windows version) given that it helps me understand which accounts I need to review.  Importantly, given that the data aggregation/download process is an imperfect one, it has helped me understand and correct a variety of issues issues.  In particular, as mentioned in a previous comment, it has helped me catch credit card fraud very early.  I suspect that if a user only downloads a couple of accounts it may not seem important, but with volume, the need for this feature becomes readily apparent.  I feel this to be a 'must have' feature to make a full transition to the Mac version.

SO VERY TRUE!....
    I did not state it earlier but I have 26 accounts I download data for, many of there accounts are very active (I have a few more that I do manually because the volume of transactions is too low to both setting it up for download.

So this feature is VERY useful.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2016
    Ruegs said:

I'm a heavy user as well and can't imagine managing my accounts without this ability. I suspect that if you've never been exposed to the full feature download capability available in QWin you would not have a point of comparison.  While it may not be for everyone, my sense is that once you've tried it - it's hard to move to a less feature rich capability.  
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I think they added this feature under QM2017 v4.4.0 that was just recently released.  
    QMac Subscription - iMac - Quicken Mac user since 1995
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016
    Snoopy FC said:

I think they added this feature under QM2017 v4.4.0 that was just recently released.  

Really?  That alone is a good reason to update.
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Snoopy FC said:

I'm pretty sure it was.  I also know that they've not yet updated the release notes to indicate it, but do expect them to do that soon.  There's also no mention of it elsewhere on the community.  
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Snoopy FC said:

Since details are lacking, it is unclear the scope of how this feature works...what triggers it and more importantly what causes it to be cleared. Beta testing revealed that these rules were still undefined.

I would hold off posting details until more concrete info is available on this (or any other) feature.

• Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Snoopy FC said:

Will do.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016
    Snoopy FC said:

I'm retired military and my computer budget doesn't allow me to update each program each year...sure would be nice if Intuit would roll this feature out for those of us on 2016. It should have been a feature all along...as it has been for years in Windows version.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled QMac: Transactions needing review for an account.

This feature has been evolving in a very positive direction.  Now that the user has complete control over the download status of each transaction, the "summary" indicator (blue dot) on the account list could be a more valuable tool.  After an update session, a blue dot appears indicating that one or more transactions have been downloaded. However, once you select a different account, the blue dot disappears even if you don't change the reviewed status of any of those transactions.  A more useful and expected behavior would be for the account list blue dot to remain until all of the transactions in the register have been cleared.  An even more useful tool would be for the "blue dot" to act more like an iOS notification badge where it displays the count of transactions that have not yet been cleared.
  • Blake
    Blake Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Love this idea Chuck!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017
    Ould not agree more. Well said.