When I upgraded to Sierra and opened Quicken I was compelled to update my data file. I went through

When I upgraded to OS Sierra and opened Quicken 2015 Mac I was compelled to update my data file. I went through the process and ended up in a loop going through the same screen, time after time. The next time I restarted my Mac the quicken file opened and I was able to make entires in my data file. Today I opened 2015 and it will not open the file. Most of the file menu options are also greyed out including preferences. I can see the file and versions 2. and 3. of it under "open recent" but they will not open. Oddly enough the data file is showing as a .quickendata file , created from 2012 and modified 2016. Any ideas how to get the file to open and be used once again just as last week, AFTER Sierra was installed? The file is obviously quite tempermental and I don't have a strategy to coerce it to open. I tried putting hundred dollar bills on my monitor but that did not help either.

Comments

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 2017
    I don't think this is a Sierra issue. I think the problem might be related to how you are launching the program. I suspect you are not launching the program itself, but possibly are attempting to open an older data file. This happens with people who put an alias of the data file (and not the program) in the Dock.

*.quickendata are Quicken Essentials files. If you open that (directly), the program is going to try to convert a copy to 2015. Your old file remains, and the upconverted file gets created with a new extension. (This file is hidden away in your user Library.) If you keep reopening the .quickendata file, it will keep converting the old data file, so don't do that.

To run the program, you need to be launching the Quicken 2015 program itself. This will cause it to open the last used file. Now, where your last used file is, I cannot tell you as I am not there.

To access the default location for Quicken files, drop to the Finder and hold down the option key while choosing Go from the menubar. Choose Library, and navigate to Application Support:Quicken 2015:Documents. Your files will be there, unless you have tampered with them.

Also make sure you are not trying to store your data file outside of your user account (Dropbox and iCloud come to mind). That setup is problematic.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    You are amazingly accurate and succinct. I resorted to contacting CS today and they walked me through your exact logic sequence and we sorted it out. Thanks so much for the follow up and it is reassuring that it is spot on! The file is now living in a "hidden" QUICKEN FOLDER (that's how they prefer it) and it opens up when I launch Quicken just as you indicate it would. Thanks John and Beautiful German Shepherd !
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016

I don't think this is a Sierra issue. I think the problem might be related to how you are launching the program. I suspect you are not launching the program itself, but possibly are attempting to open an older data file. This happens with people who put an alias of the data file (and not the program) in the Dock.

*.quickendata are Quicken Essentials files. If you open that (directly), the program is going to try to convert a copy to 2015. Your old file remains, and the upconverted file gets created with a new extension. (This file is hidden away in your user Library.) If you keep reopening the .quickendata file, it will keep converting the old data file, so don't do that.

To run the program, you need to be launching the Quicken 2015 program itself. This will cause it to open the last used file. Now, where your last used file is, I cannot tell you as I am not there.

To access the default location for Quicken files, drop to the Finder and hold down the option key while choosing Go from the menubar. Choose Library, and navigate to Application Support:Quicken 2015:Documents. Your files will be there, unless you have tampered with them.

Also make sure you are not trying to store your data file outside of your user account (Dropbox and iCloud come to mind). That setup is problematic.

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2016
    Gene said:

You are amazingly accurate and succinct. I resorted to contacting CS today and they walked me through your exact logic sequence and we sorted it out. Thanks so much for the follow up and it is reassuring that it is spot on! The file is now living in a "hidden" QUICKEN FOLDER (that's how they prefer it) and it opens up when I launch Quicken just as you indicate it would. Thanks John and Beautiful German Shepherd !

Good, I am glad you got it worked out.

Brandy did want me to make one correction; she is a Belgian Malinois :-)
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Gene said:

Woof!

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

This discussion has been closed.