Add true multi-currency conversion support in Quicken for Mac (317 Legacy/Merged Votes)

smayer97
smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 3 in Product Enhancements

Please add the ability to record foreign currency exchange rates to be used for conversions, with the following functionality:

- ability to either manually enter or download currency exchange rates to track conversion rates
- ability to apply exchange rates for transfers between accounts in different currencies
- ability to apply exchange rates on reports using accounts in different currencies
- ability to apply exchange rates on investments, to track values in local currency as well as original currency
- allow showing balances in sidebar in base/local currency, applying currency conversions
- allow Home and Investing Dashboards to reflect accounts using all currencies
- if possible, allow having transactions with different currencies within the same account (useful cases include credit card purchases in different currency, multiple stock holdings in different currencies in same investment accounts)
- also support carrying over currency conversion rates when migrating from QWin to QMac.

Click the Bookmark (ribbon) icon at the top if you want to receive notifications of any replies to this thread. 

[Edited to remove voting instructions, since the Idea is now Planned and cannot be voted for, and to add Dashboards to the list of functions requiring multi-currency functionality. —@jacobs, 10/2023]

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

57 votes

Planned · Last Updated

This request has been accepted by the Development team for future implementation. However, there is no ETA on when this will be available. QMAC-6341

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    Agree.  This is why I am still on a very old Quicken running on my PC instead of MAC
  • Pritam Mirchandani
    Pritam Mirchandani Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Agree..that's why I still retain a PC.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

But if you want to see this given more attention in the Mac version, add your VOTE above.

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2016

I see the € symbol in my US$ account and cannot change it.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017

Agree that 's why I still have a windows PC
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017

I migrated to Mac, and multi-currency is a very important issue. I have both, euros and dollars accounts and usually make transfers between them.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2017

I bought a Mac just because ibank promised multiple currency. Guess what! It doesn't work. I deal with US$ & R$(Brazilian reais). I Use Quicken for US(Quicken latest download format) and IBank for R$, because Quicken gave up on Brazil on 1996!!!!!!
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    You may also want to add your VOTE for the related feature to exclude foreign currency from being counted in the sidebar, here: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/how-do-i-exclude-foreign-currency-from-being-cou...

Be sure to click on the link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page to increase the count and therefore its visibility to the developers.

If you do not click VOTE at the top of each one, your vote will NOT be counted!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    I've been a Quicken user on a PC for 25 years.  Finally decided to switch over to Quicken for Mac 2017.  After converting my file it was a shock to discover the foreign currency accounts were not converted correctly.  Any past transfer from a USD account showed the USD amount in the foreign currency account instead of the foreign currency amount from the PC file version.  Also, the years of reconciled statements are lost.  Hard to believe that in 2017 multi-currency functions have yet to become a basic feature.  Sure hope Quicken will put this on the agenda soon.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    Marcoman said:

I've been a Quicken user on a PC for 25 years.  Finally decided to switch over to Quicken for Mac 2017.  After converting my file it was a shock to discover the foreign currency accounts were not converted correctly.  Any past transfer from a USD account showed the USD amount in the foreign currency account instead of the foreign currency amount from the PC file version.  Also, the years of reconciled statements are lost.  Hard to believe that in 2017 multi-currency functions have yet to become a basic feature.  Sure hope Quicken will put this on the agenda soon.

That's  exactly why I moved to iBank(Bankactivity).
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I also highly recommend that you browse through the IDEAS section of this forum and VOTE for the request of each of the missing features to be added back into Quicken for Mac....to help direct the priorities of the developers.

To do that, I suggest you read this FAQ on how to filter the IDEAS on this forum to just show the ones for the Mac version, then VOTE to your heart's content:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-getsat-faq-how-to-filter-conversations-d...

The following are some of the many feature requests you will find: and many others.

Be sure to scroll down the page, as some contain lists of related features. Click on the link to EACH IDEA separately that you are interested in, then click the VOTE button at the top of EACH page that opens up respectively to increase the count and therefore its visibility to the developers.

If you do not click VOTE at the top of the page of each feature, your vote will NOT be counted for THAT specific feature!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Just saw where you can vote on Quicken's website for Multiple Currency Support to be added to Quicken for Mac 2017.  The link is: https://www.quicken.com/mac/compare
    A screen shot of the voting section is showing below.
    Please vote if this feature is important to you.

• zwzlife
    zwzlife Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I have been voting for this since QMAC 2015. OK, I will vote again, fair enough. 
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Marcoman said:

Just saw where you can vote on Quicken's website for Multiple Currency Support to be added to Quicken for Mac 2017.  The link is: https://www.quicken.com/mac/compare
    A screen shot of the voting section is showing below.
    Please vote if this feature is important to you.

Yes, they are collecting votes from both locations.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    Marcoman said:

Get Quicken 2017 FOR WINDOWS 10 TO SUPPORT MUTIPLE CURRENCY!!!!!!
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Marcoman said:

Actually the Canadian version of QWin does, as it tracks history of currency exchange rates and applies them where needed. They need to make BOTH QWin and QMac work this way too.

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

I also highly recommend that you browse through the IDEAS section of this forum and VOTE for the request of each of the missing features to be added back into Quicken for Mac....to help direct the priorities of the developers.

To do that, I suggest you read this FAQ on how to filter the IDEAS on this forum to just show the ones for the Mac version, then VOTE to your heart's content:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-getsat-faq-how-to-filter-conversations-d...

The following are some of the many feature requests you will find:

and many others.

Be sure to scroll down the page, as some contain lists of related features. Click on the link to EACH IDEA separately that you are interested in, then click the VOTE button at the top of EACH page that opens up respectively to increase the count and therefore its visibility to the developers.

If you do not click VOTE at the top of the page of each feature, your vote will NOT be counted for THAT specific feature!

Here are a couple more to highlight that may be of interest: Be sure to click on the link to EACH IDEA separately that you are interested in, then click the VOTE button at the top of EACH page that opens up respectively to increase the count and therefore its visibility to the developers.

If you do not click VOTE at the top of the page of each feature, your vote will NOT be counted for THAT specific feature!

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2016

You may also want to add your VOTE for the related feature to exclude foreign currency from being counted in the sidebar, here: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/how-do-i-exclude-foreign-currency-from-being-cou...

Be sure to click on the link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page to increase the count and therefore its visibility to the developers.

Foreign currency (i.e. not the HomeCurrency set in Prefs) is not counted now. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2017
    Marcoman said:

Yes, that's exactly I gave up on Quicken and now I use Bankactivity. multiple currency and download from local banks around the world!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017

if you are on a mac and need multi-currency use Moneydance.  You can import your quicken files into it.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2016

Try Moneydance
    I am tired of waiting for Quicken / Intuit to include something as basic as multi-currency to their mac system. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2016
    Marcoman said:

Try Moneydance
    I am tired of waiting for Quicken / Intuit to include something as basic as multi-currency to their mac system. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2016
    zwzlife said:

I have been voting for this since QMAC 2015. OK, I will vote again, fair enough. 

Try Moneydance
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017
    And no, I don't work for Moneydance.  There are other multi-currency apps out there for the Mac.  This is the one I have been using for many years and I am just a user needing multi-currency .   Take a look at it, test it, and see if it meets your needs.
    Perhaps competition will get Intuit to move more quickly.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2016

Agree.  This is why I am still on a very old Quicken running on my PC instead of MAC

Try Moneydance.  I have used it for years and it works very well. 
    I was forced to find app that works on OSX after switching from windows and I got tired of waiting for Quicken / Intuit to include something as basic as multi-currency to their mac system. 
    Voting for the feature? Now? Intuit has fully missed the boat.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    zwzlife said:

Posting same reply 6 times in the same thread is spamming...Don't do that.

• Unknown
    Unknown Alumni
    edited September 2017
    @NeedMultiCurrency,

Smayer97 is correct, repeated, duplicate replies are considered as SPAM. You made your point with your first reply, the additional duplicate replies are unnecessary. The duplicate replies have been removed.

Dave
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2016
    zwzlife said:

apologies.  not intentional but extreme frustration that users appear not to be heard over many years.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2016

@NeedMultiCurrency,

Smayer97 is correct, repeated, duplicate replies are considered as SPAM. You made your point with your first reply, the additional duplicate replies are unnecessary. The duplicate replies have been removed.

Dave

I felt it took multiple posts to be heard.  If Quicken can't provide Mac users with the features they need, then other solutions need to be suggested or the product should perhaps be completely pulled.  Using parallels to install windows and then Quicken is not a work around most mac users are keen on.

If Quicken is going to charge some $64 or more without a basic feature such as multi-currency vs other packages that do, I feel that users are being sold an inferior product.  Based on the posts, it appears that many assumed multi-currency was there and were unpleasantly surprised when it was not.

I was a long time Quicken user on Windows and it really cost me ages to find an app that worked with similar (sufficient) levels of functionality.

It may be that the multi-currency user base for Quicken for Mac is small but it could also be that many Mac users simply use other packages because it is not provided.  

I would point out that the threads on multi-currency go back many years.  So it is good there is some transparency but not so good that nothing has been done about it.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017
    Here is why adding multi-currency support is a no brainer. There are millions of Americans who live overseas and I'm sure nearly all of them have local bank accounts in foreign currency. Many also own Macs. This would be an obvious market for the new company that owns Quicken -- American ex-pats as well as military members stationed overseas. How complicated can it be, given that this has been offered in the Windows version for years?