How can I merge two separate data files in Quicken for Mac 2016 (or 2017)?

I have two separate data files.  Both have checking, savings, investments accounts, etc.  I would like to merge them into one file.  Any suggestions?

Comments

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Are the 2 sets of accounts completely different? If so, you could try exporting from one to a QXF file and re-importing into the other. This approach is all or nothing. You cannot select what data you want to export/import. 

Be sure to have a back-up of all files before trying this, in case the results are not as expected.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Just to clarify, it's not two sets of accounts, it's two completely separate data files, each with multiple accounts in them. And none of them are the same. Imagine one data file with accounts at Bank 1, 2, 3 and 4. Then the second data file has accounts at Bank 5, 6, 7 and 8. And I want them all in one file. Does that change your answer?
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Steve said:

Just to clarify, it's not two sets of accounts, it's two completely separate data files, each with multiple accounts in them. And none of them are the same. Imagine one data file with accounts at Bank 1, 2, 3 and 4. Then the second data file has accounts at Bank 5, 6, 7 and 8. And I want them all in one file. Does that change your answer?

No. That is actually the ideal. Give it a try and let us know how it goes. Be sure to back up first.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2017
     If so, you could try exporting from one to a QXF file and re-importing into the other.
    Will do, and I'll report back.  Offhand, do you know if that transfers EVERYTHING?  For some reason, I was under the impression that didn't work for investment accounts.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2017
    https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-export-quicken-transfer-format-qxf-file
    • The import and export of investment and business accounts, transactions, budgets, attachments, reports, and application settings is not supported by QXF.
    • The QXF file format is the preferred choice for merging Quicken account data.
    Yikes.  So it looks like I'm S.O.L.  This is the "preferred choice" -- but it doesn't do investment accounts.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2017
    Interesting thread but no surprise about not supporting investments by QXF..QM has lots  to do & miles to go b4 they rest when it comes to Investment & other items.. Making progress but it will take time to achieve parity  with QW
  • J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Steve

Not sure if this helps you - but have done some experimenting with QMac and QXF files.
    Using QMac2017, I exported my file to the Desktop as a QFX.
    I then selected New File and imported the QXF file back into QMac2017.
    All accounts imported - including investments.

There are a few glitches in the new file - but in a cursory review, the glitches appear to be correctable.
    QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    The accounts imported...but did all of the individual transactions?
  • J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Steve said:

Yes, the investment transactions came through.
    Quicken user since 1991

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016
    Steve said:

Hmm...that is contrary behavior to what Intuit's official position is.  How totally unlike them to not have a handle on something like that.

(looking for a sarcasm emoji -- stand by...)
  • J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Steve said:

Steve

Out of curiosity have done some more experimenting with import of QXF files inot QMac.

As followup, I attempted second import of the same QFX file - on top of the initial import.
    It worked. The second import simply created duplicates of the original accounts; e.g., have ABC Checking and ABC Checking 2 accounts in data file. Again, the investment accounts and transactions imported.

Bottom line - looks to me as though one can combine two individual data files using the QXF import.

Again, there is cleanup work - two examples I found;
    Have Treasury Direct account (manula) recording T Bill activity. Original file used Buy/Sell Bonds transaction. Import came over as regular Buy/Sell (not Bond). And, Sell transactions have negative values; i.e., subtract from cash balance??

Second issue - data file originates from QWin and in past had used Shares Transfered when changing brokerage firm; e.g., transfered shares from Acct A to Acct B. For holdings with multiple lots, the Shares Added in Acct B for each lot posted as of the original acquisition date - not the transfer date. Result is these holdings are double counted in the Net Worth for the period from original acquisition to transfer date.

These can be cleaned up with a little effort.
    Quicken user since 1991

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    BTW, You can add your VOTE to Add Ability to Select Content of QXF File for Export.

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

This idea will eventually be added to the List of Requests for Data and File Management FeaturesClick on the underlined link, then click FOLLOW at the top of the page so you can be notified of any new related IDEAS to which you could add your vote when they are added. Your VOTES matter!

This discussion has been closed.