Quicken for Mac 2016 v3.5.4 Released

Quicken Marcus
Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
Today we released Quicken for Mac 2016 v3.5.4.  

We know a number of people ran into reconcile issues once we switched to the new reconcile system.  We think most of the issues occurred because the old reconcile didn't use the Quicken balance in the reconcile calculation which allowed for incorrect transactions to creep in over many years of use.  The new reconcile would catch these issues where as the old one would ignore them.  An adjustment would have fixed most of these problems.  

However, if you continue to see issues even after adding an adjustment, 3.5.4 may fix the issue. After chatting with a number of you (Thanks for helping us find the problem), we were finally able to find a reconcile bug which is fixed in 3.5.4.  The issue would only occur if you manually entered a transaction within the reconcile period but the transaction posted after.  For example you pay your mortgage before the month ends but it doesn't hit your bank until the 1st day of the new month.  Quicken, correctly wouldn't include this transaction in the reconcile calculations because the posted date was after the reconcile period.  However, after completing reconcile, the software would mistakenly mark the transaction as reconciled which would now throw things off.  We also found a crashing issue in reconcile which would occur if you hit the Return key in a date field.

Finally we found and fixed a crashing issue that impacted a number of people which was caused by bond data being downloaded or imported without a security name.

You can see the full release notes at: https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2016-mac-release-notes.

Please use this forum post to add issues you are finding in v3.5.4.  This will make it easier for us to spot the issues and to react to them faster.

Thanks.
Marcus
Twitter: @softwaremarcus

Comments

• Bruce Johnson
    Bruce Johnson Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Since updating, I can no longer download transactions from USAA. To say the least, this is aggravating. Repeatedly get the Download error (100)
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Since updating, I have had an issue with the reconciliation process.  When I go to manually reconcile (from bank statements), QM 3.5.4 tries to "guess" the date of my account balance.  Unfortunately, It "guesses" a date in the past (November 28, 2015 in my case).  Since I have manually reconciled through October 2016, it shows that I need a huge reconciling entry which, is of course not correct.

If I quit out of the reconcile process in order to re-enter the statement end date and the statement balance, QM 3.5.4 "conveniently" remembers the 2015 information.  Unfortunately, this creates an error loop which is unable to be breached by the user (i.e. QM 3.5.4 cannot proceed until a massive incorrect entry is entered and accepted).

I suppose a work-around would be to accept the suggested reconciliation amount, go back in the register in time to delete the erroneous entry and then re-reconcile?

Help!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016
    I have been using the "NEW" Quicken  for Mac 2016 since it became available.  Reconciling is always a problem.  I find myself adding suggested debits or credits in order balance the account, but, then have to go back to undo and make another correction.  "2017" doesn't seem to make this any easier.  

I continue to use Quicken instead of my banks BILL PAY exclusively, because I want and need the tax records it provides.  I would very much like to use Quicken Bill Pay, but, my banks tells me their system will not record future transactions until they have cleared.  Still far from an ideal solution 
    for me.  Any suggestions?
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Not sure if this will help but read this FAQ: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-mac-v3-5-reconcile-troubleshooting

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016

Not sure if this will help but read this FAQ: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-mac-v3-5-reconcile-troubleshooting

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Thank you. I've been through that article, but my version is stuck after the ending balance was entered. In my case, it is trying to reconcile to November 2015 rather than 2016. Since I have already reconciled 2015, there are no transactions to reconcile and it wants to adjust my balance by over$15,000 which will throw everything off..

Thanks for trying to help.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016

I have been using the "NEW" Quicken  for Mac 2016 since it became available.  Reconciling is always a problem.  I find myself adding suggested debits or credits in order balance the account, but, then have to go back to undo and make another correction.  "2017" doesn't seem to make this any easier.  

I continue to use Quicken instead of my banks BILL PAY exclusively, because I want and need the tax records it provides.  I would very much like to use Quicken Bill Pay, but, my banks tells me their system will not record future transactions until they have cleared.  Still far from an ideal solution 
    for me.  Any suggestions?

You may want to post this under quicken 2017. This thread is about quicken Mac 2016.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

Have you looked for placeholder transactions? They will appear in a faded gray font. 

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016

Since updating, I have had an issue with the reconciliation process.  When I go to manually reconcile (from bank statements), QM 3.5.4 tries to "guess" the date of my account balance.  Unfortunately, It "guesses" a date in the past (November 28, 2015 in my case).  Since I have manually reconciled through October 2016, it shows that I need a huge reconciling entry which, is of course not correct.

If I quit out of the reconcile process in order to re-enter the statement end date and the statement balance, QM 3.5.4 "conveniently" remembers the 2015 information.  Unfortunately, this creates an error loop which is unable to be breached by the user (i.e. QM 3.5.4 cannot proceed until a massive incorrect entry is entered and accepted).

I suppose a work-around would be to accept the suggested reconciliation amount, go back in the register in time to delete the erroneous entry and then re-reconcile?

Help!

My solution to this problem was the following:

1) Make a backup of my data file;
    2) Allow the Quicken software to add adjustment transaction - note down the amount (in my case, the adjustment was to decrease my balance by over $14,000).  Note down the adjustment amount;
    3) Search for the amount in the register;
    4) Once you find the transaction, go ahead and delete it, accepting the warnings associated with deleting the transactions; finally
    5) Begin the reconciliation process again.

This allowed me to enter the targeted reconciliation amount with the correct dates.

Thanks to all who helped me with this process.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016

Where do I go to down load the new Release? (2016 v3.5.4)?  I thought there would be a hot link in one of these articles but haven't found it yet.  Thanks for the heads up.

Charlibart
    charlybart@gmail.com
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016

Help!

I have just about given up on Quicken after low these many years.  I have had nothing but problems for the past 4 upgrades and multiple unnecessary re-purchases of years when I was just getting used to the prior year.  I was always hoping that Intuit would finally solve some of my problems that I had complained to them about to no avail.  I don't see a need to upgrade to every new year they come out with as I am not sophisticated enough to appreciate their "improvements".

I am trying to find out just where to go to down load the Quicken for Mac 2016 v3.5.4 Release.  It should have been somewhere in all the release promo stuff we have been barraged with.

Charlibart
    charlybart@gmail.com
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

Help!

Simply choose 'Check for Updates' from the File menu within Quicken and it should download it. 

I recommend you back up your old copy of Quicken beforehand, in case you decide you want to revert back to the previous version.

This discussion has been closed.