deluxe 2017 doesn't recognize house current value

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited October 2018 in Investing (Windows)
I just downloaded 2017 for Windows and am adding my accounts.   It doesn't recognize my current value for the the house and I can't get past it.    The window doesn't display correctly initially but I click the radio button under What's the current value and click into the box.   Enter Estimate appears next to the radio button.    I type the value into the box and then click the Next button.    The message, Enter the current estimated value of this property to continue.   You can get an estimate from Zillow or enter the estimate manually.

Comments

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Lisa, that is a known issue with QW2017 Deluxe. Likely it will be fixed in an upcoming patch.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Quicken Kathryn
    edited May 2017
    Hi Lisa,
    As mshiggins says, this is an issue with the Starter Edition and Deluxe that we will fix in the next release.  But to be clear, access to a Zillow estimate of the property's value is only available in Premier or higher versions of Quicken, but the ability to add an asset and it's value is available across versions, and this is what's not working properly in Quicken Deluxe.

Hope this helps,
    Quicken Kathryn
    Quicken Kathryn
    Community Administrator
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016

Hi Lisa,
    As mshiggins says, this is an issue with the Starter Edition and Deluxe that we will fix in the next release.  But to be clear, access to a Zillow estimate of the property's value is only available in Premier or higher versions of Quicken, but the ability to add an asset and it's value is available across versions, and this is what's not working properly in Quicken Deluxe.

Hope this helps,
    Quicken Kathryn

Hi Kathryn, any chance you can address my issue I left on the old board with my user ID?  I am unable to login as a super user.  I requested assistance and received no response.
  • itchyfish
    itchyfish Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

Hi Lisa,

Hope this helps,
    Quicken Kathryn

Please make this a feature available to everyone, we all shouldn't have to pay more for something as simple as that to track the value of our house, c'mon now - this product is already over priced and I'm a 20+ yr customer of Quicken.  Personal Capitol www.personalcapital.com gives this away for free as well as a dashboard of all accounts you link to it and free investment advice.  Quicken needs to step up to the plate and deliver for a change.
  • itchyfish
    itchyfish Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Please make this a feature available to everyone, we all shouldn't have to pay more for something as simple as that to track the value of our house, c'mon now - this product is already over priced and I'm a 20+ yr customer of Quicken.  Quicken needs to step up to the plate and deliver for a change.  I use another product that does this already built in and it's free of charge.  

My previous comment was removed because the kind folks that monitor this board said:  "Violation of Community Guidelines: No selling. It’s okay to talk up the products or services you love, but only if it’s relevant to the conversation."

I did no such thing. I wasn't selling a thing, the other product that I like is FREE to anyone and it was completely relevant to this conversation as I was discussing the one thing Quicken is charging for that they give to you for nothing.  I was showing an example, not selling a single thing.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    itchyfish said:

Please make this a feature available to everyone, we all shouldn't have to pay more for something as simple as that to track the value of our house, c'mon now - this product is already over priced and I'm a 20+ yr customer of Quicken.  Quicken needs to step up to the plate and deliver for a change.  I use another product that does this already built in and it's free of charge.  

My previous comment was removed because the kind folks that monitor this board said:  "Violation of Community Guidelines: No selling. It’s okay to talk up the products or services you love, but only if it’s relevant to the conversation."

I did no such thing. I wasn't selling a thing, the other product that I like is FREE to anyone and it was completely relevant to this conversation as I was discussing the one thing Quicken is charging for that they give to you for nothing.  I was showing an example, not selling a single thing.

I agree with itchyfish. Anybody should be able to track the value of their property without paying extra for it. I too, am a 20 plus year user of Quicken Products, and it does seem that for every "upgrade" the people who use it to just track Personal Finances keep losing functions.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016
    itchyfish said:

You didn't "lose" a function.  They just didn't add a function to your edition of Quicken.
  • itchyfish
    itchyfish Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    itchyfish said:

Well the function is there or we wouldn't see it, we're blocked from it. So yes, we lost a function.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016
    itchyfish said:

The loss of being able to setup a house account with a manually entered amount is a bug, that they said they would fix.  I wasn't referring to that.

I was referring to the implication that they should provide a Zillow estimate function for the Deluxe version.  They decided not to add it to that edition.  That is not a "loss" of a function.

BTW I have found that if you use Other Asset you can setup your house account, and it won't be any different than if you set it up using the House account selection.  With the possible exception that if in the future you do upgrade to Premier it might not recognized the account for the Zillow function, and you might have to recreate the account to get that function.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016
    itchyfish said:

"Well the function is there or we wouldn't see it, we're blocked from it. So yes, we lost a function."

P.S. Just because Quicken can do something doesn't imply you have the right to do it.  Quicken "editions" are in fact one program.  All the way from Starter to Rental Property Manager.  What changes is the "license" that you paid for.  The fact that a bug exposed functionality you shouldn't have seen doesn't imply you have a right to that functionality.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Well at least come up with the fix so the manual addition works. We shouldn't have to do a workaround
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016

Well at least come up with the fix so the manual addition works. We shouldn't have to do a workaround

Please read Quicken Kathryn, Official Rep
    post.  (fix is coming)
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    When should we expect a release that fixes this bug?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016

When should we expect a release that fixes this bug?

Committing to an exact date would be foolish.  In fact Quicken Inc almost never even pre announces such fixes, so this is a rare exception.

I will say that based on past history they have rolled patches about once a month on first few months that follow a release.  This is just a guess based on past history, nothing official.

Of course if Kathryn wants to state anything official she can.
  • itchyfish
    itchyfish Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    itchyfish said:

Well, again QuicknPerlWiz you are in the wrong on this.  

If additional functionality requires you to be on an upgraded version of the software, you first have to upgrade the software in order to be able to see / use it.  In this instance, it's available for those on the Deluxe edition, it's simply just not functional due to missing coding.  There's no warning of you being on the wrong version, it doesn't prompt you to upgrade, the fact is the functionality does not work.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016
    itchyfish said:

Do you know how to spell bug?
    What part of that do you not get?

It has been stated many times in this thread that the bug is that the Deluxe version's dialog is wrong.  It should allow you to enter your house value, and it shouldn't show you anything that has to do with the Zillow estimate.
  • itchyfish
    itchyfish Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    itchyfish said:

It's ok Quickn, when I'm wrong, I can admit to it.  Time for you to move on.... 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2017
    I just received the CD in the mail, Quicken 2017, Deluxe, Version R2, Build: 26.1.2.7.  And as stated above ... it will not allow me to enter the Home Asset Value.  In looking through the posts here, I found this one and the one that says it is a known problem with Deluxe (not higher versions), and that will be fixed with the next release.  A known problem, and they send it to me not working.  When is the next release? Tomorrow?  Next week? Next month?  It seems the home asset is a main building block to the net worth and using the program ... so I am hopeful the next release is next week, right?  When other programs I use mention the next release, they normally are talking like in months or the next year, please do not tell me that is the case here.  If that is the case, I would think that Quicken should send Deluxe users the next level up version that does not have this problem.
  • Dan Glynhampton
    Dan Glynhampton Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    VMK3 said:

I just received the CD in the mail, Quicken 2017, Deluxe, Version R2, Build: 26.1.2.7.  And as stated above ... it will not allow me to enter the Home Asset Value.  In looking through the posts here, I found this one and the one that says it is a known problem with Deluxe (not higher versions), and that will be fixed with the next release.  A known problem, and they send it to me not working.  When is the next release? Tomorrow?  Next week? Next month?  It seems the home asset is a main building block to the net worth and using the program ... so I am hopeful the next release is next week, right?  When other programs I use mention the next release, they normally are talking like in months or the next year, please do not tell me that is the case here.  If that is the case, I would think that Quicken should send Deluxe users the next level up version that does not have this problem.

Quicken Kathryn says in this post that the next update to Q2017 is due in early November

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickenco...
    US Quicken Deluxe for Windows Subscription R28.16 on Windows 10 Pro v2004
  • itchyfish
    itchyfish Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    VMK3 said:

How do we find out what's going to be fixed in the updates that come out?
  • Dan Glynhampton
    Dan Glynhampton Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    VMK3 said:

Apart from what it says in the announcement linked above, I suspect we have to wait until it's released :-(
    US Quicken Deluxe for Windows Subscription R28.16 on Windows 10 Pro v2004
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2017
    Just bought v2017 and hit the same issue.  As a workaround, I just choose "Other Asset" instead of House.  Was even able to link my mortgage to it. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2016
    This is also an issue with Premier 2017. The Zillow integration is not operational too. 
  • itchyfish
    itchyfish Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    So, the update came out and the problem isn't fixed ... When will we see this fixed?  What good does it do anyone posting to these boards if support won't help resolve the issues??

Mike
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016

Just bought v2017 and hit the same issue.  As a workaround, I just choose "Other Asset" instead of House.  Was even able to link my mortgage to it. 

Thanks for the workaround. It's a shame that Quicken would sell a product that has such a feature flaw. My mortgage is my biggest expense and if I cannot account for it in my budgeting then there is really no point in using this application. It also irked me to be told that I would either have to wait for however long (Is there an exact date yet?) to get the bug fixed, or pay more to upgrade. Needless to say this is the first and last Quicken purchase for me.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    I just bought my online copy of deluxe 2017 and the messed up screen on the 'house' asset configuration page is still there.

also, some of the fonts look terrible.  see screenshot below for 'see where your money goes'.  I am running on windows 10. 

I thought quicken was supposed to be a mature program.  This looks like amateur hour to me.  Thankfully there is a 60 day return policy.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016

I just bought my online copy of deluxe 2017 and the messed up screen on the 'house' asset configuration page is still there.

also, some of the fonts look terrible.  see screenshot below for 'see where your money goes'.  I am running on windows 10. 

I thought quicken was supposed to be a mature program.  This looks like amateur hour to me.  Thankfully there is a 60 day return policy.

It sounds like you don't have the R3 patch.
    Select Help -> About Quicken to check.

You should install the Mondo patch from here:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2017-windows-release-notes-updates-and-mondo-patch
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016

QPW,

Updating to R3 fixed the house asset addition.

1) R3 should be the default version offered on the website when downloading (12/31/2016)
    2) The program did not prompt a version update automatically and the 'check for updates' option is very unusual.
    3) the fonts are still messed up.

Thanks for pointing out R3.  Still an open question as to whether I keep the software.   Will give 60 days.

-Ian
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016

What is suppose to happen is that the end of the install it automatically downloads and installs the latest patch release.  For some reason that didn't happen for you.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

Concur.  The "initial purchase of download" is always the base release (R1).  The install process is then supposed to do the update to the current release itself.

This is a reasonable (valuable, even) design.  Occasionally there are problems with Q Releases and they need to be pulled.  Have the base constantly available provides a recourse for these errors.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

This discussion has been closed.