Investing, Quicken don't show bench mark history so I can compare to investments

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited November 2018 in Investing (Windows)
Quicken 2017 prem.

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Elaborate upon what history you want to see.  The more precise, the better.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Would like to see and compare YTD - 1 Year etc. similar to individual investments.  I have Benchmarks set up such as S&P 500 but it only updates daily and don't reflect past performance.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    If you go to Investing/Performance it shows Growth of $10K and Average Annual Return compared to various indices for your portfolio. You can select accounts and securities and set the date range to analyze. Is this not working for you?

If you don't see the history on the indices, go to the Security List and make sure the indices are on the list and Download quotes is checked. Indices have a type of Market index in the Security List. You may have to download the historical prices for the indices if they don't show up in the Price History when you look at the index in the Security Detail view. 

Note that you can add indices if you can figure out what their ticker symbol is. For example, I have added the S&P 500 Total Return index using the symbol index:spxt. This is the S&P index including reinvested dividends, and I think it is a better benchmark for long-term return than the default S&P price index.

Note also that the footnote on the Growth of 10K chart and the Average Annual Return table is wrong - The default S&P 500 index does NOT include dividends. 

QWin Premier subscription
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Joe said:

Would like to see and compare YTD - 1 Year etc. similar to individual investments.  I have Benchmarks set up such as S&P 500 but it only updates daily and don't reflect past performance.

Have you tried INVESTING, Download Activity, Historical Prices ... to get older quotes for those indices?
    Have you explored Q Help re: importing price quotes from external sources?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Joe said:

Would like to see and compare YTD - 1 Year etc. similar to individual investments.  
    See and compare where and how?  Tabular data?  Graphical prices?  Some portfolio view values are your-data based, thus not applicable for indices.  What specific data are you trying to compare?  You can review the glossary info in Quicken help to see the source of various data.  Quicken (2014) will lead you to Yahoo finance for graphical price presentations over time (Security detail view -- more charting).
  • basegad
    basegad Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    In Q 2017, the Investing/Performance "Growth of $10K" chart indicates Quicken can only hold 5 years of history for such benchmarks.  Very stupid and unnecessary restriction since it doesn't take much data to enable me to view comparison of my portfolio results vs benchmarks for 10+ years. 

Another example of Quicken's lack of thought when coding/testing their products. Come on guys...  Join the 21st century, stop thinking like COBOL programmers and deploy a 64 bit version that more efficiently manages data!!!!
  • Jim_Harman
    edited November 2018
    Quicken's server only stores the past 5 years of data for downloading. If you have data that goes back farther, you can type it in using Update/Edit price history from the Security Detail View or you can import it from a CSV file. Search Quicken Help for Import Price History for more details.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2017
    I would like to see Price Change 1 Month (%), Price Change YTD Gain/Loss (%) for DOW, S&P 500, Russell 2000, DOW Finl Services, NASDAQ, Wilshire 5000 indices. Quicken does calculate Price Change Day (%)
  • Jim_Harman
    edited November 2018
    Fred, are you interested in the indices themselves, or comparing to your holdings/portfolio?

If just the indices you might look at at an online site like Morningstar 
This discussion has been closed.