Prices for Mutual Funds with no ticker (Works on Windows)

Ramias
Ramias Member ✭✭✭
edited November 2018 in Investing (Mac)
Works on Quicken 2014 on Windows.  Moved to 2017 on Mac.

I have a USAA Brokerage 529 account.  It has its own institutional mutual fund for the 529 called the "Aggressive Growth Portfolio"  (Not the USAA Aggressive Growth Fund - USAUX - that is different).  The 529 Aggressive Growth Portfolio does not have its own ticker.  2014 was fine with this and would update prices for it when it connected to USAA.

On the Mac it does not update the price for this.

Any ideas how I can make this work?

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    In Quicken for Windows, if your brokerage account is connected for transaction downloading, your "Holdings" (a summary of all securities you own) are also downloaded. This information also includes the latest closing price for each security.

I assume Quicken Mac works the same.
    So, in Quicken Mac is your account connected to the brokerage for downloading?
  • Ramias
    Ramias Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    UKR said:

In Quicken for Windows, if your brokerage account is connected for transaction downloading, your "Holdings" (a summary of all securities you own) are also downloaded. This information also includes the latest closing price for each security.

I assume Quicken Mac works the same.
    So, in Quicken Mac is your account connected to the brokerage for downloading?

Yes.  It is set up for Direct Connect and new deposits show up but not the daily fund price.
  • lhossus
    lhossus SuperUser, Mac Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I have this same situation of no public ticker symbol with several retirement accounts. But the prices update daily as you would like.

The situation seems to be that even if the security does not have a public ticker symbol, the security needs to be assigned some sort of symbol in order to receive price updates.

Therefore I suggest:
    1. From the Quicken Mac menu, open Window > Securities. 
    2. Locate the security record for the Aggressive Growth Portfolio.
    3. If there is no Symbol, then you have located the problem.
    4. In Quicken 2014 for Windows, locate the same securities record for the Aggressive Growth Portfolio.
    5. Compare and update the Quicken Mac ticker symbol to match what is found in Quicken Windows.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • macOS Monterey 12.6 on MacBook Pro 13" M1
  • Ramias
    Ramias Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    lhossus said:

I have this same situation of no public ticker symbol with several retirement accounts. But the prices update daily as you would like.

The situation seems to be that even if the security does not have a public ticker symbol, the security needs to be assigned some sort of symbol in order to receive price updates.

Therefore I suggest:

4. In Quicken 2014 for Windows, locate the same securities record for the Aggressive Growth Portfolio.
    5. Compare and update the Quicken Mac ticker symbol to match what is found in Quicken Windows.
    There is no symbol for it on QWin.

The box "Matched with online security" is checked.

On QMac, under Options, "Download Quotes for this Security" is checked.
  • lhossus
    edited December 2016
    lhossus said:

Therefore I suggest:

Sorry, no other insights at this time. I have never used QWin.

I suspect the problem is that QMac lacks the capability to get the price from transaction records. It requires separate price data and the use of ticker symbols.
  • Drbergen
    Drbergen Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    I have the same issue on a fund in my Vanguard account.   In QWin I could manually edit a price for the security, but QMac 2017 does not give me an option.  Any solution?
  • cneal
    cneal Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I have a long term bond fund with no ticker symbol in a Fidelity Net Benefits account. The amount is updated in QM17, but only updates with Direct Connect when there is a change in value and then it lags well behind the value on the Fidelity web page. So, I do not think the failure is in QM17.
  • lhossus
    edited March 2017
    Doug: One can enter prices for a security:
    1. Go to Quicken for Mac's menu and select Window > Securities. 
    2. Then locate the security in the list presented.
    3. Double-click on the security.
    4. Click the Price History tab
    5. Edit existing price history or enter prices for additional dates.
  • Drbergen
    Drbergen Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Thanks for your help. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Any way to manually update security prices without having to jump through so many hoops?

I am a long time user of Quicken for Windows.  There, you can manually update prices from the INVESTING > Portfolio > Price Update screen, which can be set as the default screen in the Investing tab.

I have a lot of prices that need to be updated manually, since I have non-share securities (unit prices, not share prices).  Quicken for Mac's convulated way to manually update prices is a complete show stopper for me changing over to Quicken for Mac, despite me using a Mac.  I'm relegated to using a Parallels virtual machine solely to run Quicken for Windows.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    gmalis1 said:

Any way to manually update security prices without having to jump through so many hoops?

I am a long time user of Quicken for Windows.  There, you can manually update prices from the INVESTING > Portfolio > Price Update screen, which can be set as the default screen in the Investing tab.

I have a lot of prices that need to be updated manually, since I have non-share securities (unit prices, not share prices).  Quicken for Mac's convulated way to manually update prices is a complete show stopper for me changing over to Quicken for Mac, despite me using a Mac.  I'm relegated to using a Parallels virtual machine solely to run Quicken for Windows.

Unfortunately, not at this time... You can now add your VOTE to Add ability to manually update security quotes within the portfolio window.

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the List of Requests Related to Investments or the List of Requests for Data Entry and Usability Options and Features. Click on each underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. 

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017
    gmalis1 said:

I have same issue with vanguard funds for 457K retirement fund, the funds must be so small that quicken does not recognize the ticker symbols.
    What is the solution so I can auto update without manually updating?
    VI500 , VTR25, SRS are the fund ticker symbols
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017
    gmalis1 said:

I have Quicken 2017 for Windows
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017
    gmalis1 said:

If there isn't a ticker symbol recognized by Quicken, you will be relegated to manually entering the price.  

There is no auto update solution.  
This discussion has been closed.