dividend annual income

Brooks
Brooks Member ✭✭
edited November 2018 in Investing (Windows)
Qwin Deluxe US 2016 reports annual dividend income as X when my brokerage accounts says Y, any ideas on how to trouble shot this discrepancy?

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Transaction by transaction, security by security.  The amount of dividend received in any given month should be on your monthly statement from the broker.

Also, is it possible that part of the money that you received was something other than a dividend?  This is particularly common with mutual funds, foreign securities, REITs, etc.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Brooks
    Brooks Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I believe I asked the question incorrectly, Q says expected annual dividend income X, my brokerage statement says Y (X being much less than Y). I do receive both dividend and interest income but the interest income is no where near the difference. Perhaps a download issue or preference check box? Thank you for your help.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Brooks said:

I believe I asked the question incorrectly, Q says expected annual dividend income X, my brokerage statement says Y (X being much less than Y). I do receive both dividend and interest income but the interest income is no where near the difference. Perhaps a download issue or preference check box? Thank you for your help.

AAAHHH, "expected" was the missing, and most significant, keyword.

If you care to name the security, I can do some 3rd party research on it and see what they suggest.

And, this is strictly a downloaded figure. SO, it might be an issue of Q's quotes provider vs your brokerage.  Naming the brokerage might help also.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Brooks said:

I believe estimated dividend is a calculated value based on the estimate amount you provide for the security.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Brooks said:

mshiggins is correct.
    Select a security and open the Edit Security Details dialog.
    Select Other Options.
    Enter a value for Est. Income - it is the annual dividend rate, $/sh (IIRC).
    QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

• Brooks
    Brooks Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Brooks said:

So then Q does not update dividend information as I expected it to, seems like basic  information to include during the update, maybe next version.Thank you all for your thoughts and help,
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    It looks like JM is right, the estimated income is the number you enter times the number of shares you currently hold. The odd thing is that the income per share is sometimes shown in the Quote section of the Security detail page. I guess they want you to be able to adjust it - include/don't include cap gains distributions and reinvestments.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • mshiggins
    edited October 2018
    The way I edtimate my annual dividend income is with reminders. There is an income reminder type specifically for dividends. The dividend reminders can be associated with the dividend generating security. These reminders are accumulated to estimate the annual dividend amount in the Tax Planner.

I have one of these reminders for each of my dividend generating securities. Since the actual dividend transactions are added by transaction download, I just use the reminders for estimating. As I receive each downloaded dividend transaction, I edit the amount of the corresponding reminder, then skip the reminder.

So at any time, I can see the amount for dividends received YTD and estimated annual dividend amount in the Tax Planner and I can see dividends I expect to receive soon in the Reminders tab at the bottom of the investment account. The small level of effort needed to keep the dividend reminder amounts up to date is worth it to me to get the at-a-glance dividend estimating info.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017
    mshiggins said:

The way I edtimate my annual dividend income is with reminders. There is an income reminder type specifically for dividends. The dividend reminders can be associated with the dividend generating security. These reminders are accumulated to estimate the annual dividend amount in the Tax Planner.

I have one of these reminders for each of my dividend generating securities. Since the actual dividend transactions are added by transaction download, I just use the reminders for estimating. As I receive each downloaded dividend transaction, I edit the amount of the corresponding reminder, then skip the reminder.

So at any time, I can see the amount for dividends received YTD and estimated annual dividend amount in the Tax Planner and I can see dividends I expect to receive soon in the Reminders tab at the bottom of the investment account. The small level of effort needed to keep the dividend reminder amounts up to date is worth it to me to get the at-a-glance dividend estimating info.

Wow, I never knew about that kind of income reminder.  I had never setup a reminder where the account was an investment account.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017
    mshiggins said:

Add ( or edit )  a portfolio View with Group By: Security
    Customize to include the column "Estimated Income".
    The report is based on the dividend you enter in Other Info of Security Details.
    Mentally divide by four to figure your quarterly dividend income.
    This is good enough for my purposes.
  • mshiggins
    edited January 2017
    mshiggins said:

Fanfare, that approach was discussed previously in this thread. I was offering an alternate approach as the OP wasn't finding the estimated income approach to his liking.

This discussion has been closed.