I have many split deposits and use the memo line to track the payee. How do I get this to show up i

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited December 2018 in Investing (Windows)
I need a report that will show my memo line for split deposits.  How do I create that?

Comments

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I don't know.  But one way you should be doing is to set up an intermediate holding account.  Set up an account and call it something like Checks Received or Undeposited Payments. Then enter the payments into it. Then when you make the deposit to your bank account you transfer the total deposit amount to the new account. That way when you download your bank transactions the deposit will match.  Or you should use the holding account if you receive payments in one year (like in Dec) but don't make the deposit until the next year (like Jan.).

You don't run to the bank each time you get a check.  So you need a holding account so you can show the income when you received it.  Then you wait until you get a bunch of checks to go to the bank.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Thanks for the accounting advice.  Anyone know how to build a report that includes the memo line?
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017

Thanks for the accounting advice.  Anyone know how to build a report that includes the memo line?

The Banking, Transactions report shows the memo line.
    BUT, if you use that intermediate account method, you can just report from there and show the Payee in the Payee field.
    THEN, the single deposit from the intermediate account to your bank account will just be a simple transfer of money and not a record of "who did I do business with".

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Hi @ Nicole Fierce ,

If you told us which Quicken Product you are using, you could receive a more accurate answer.

See this Article:  https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/add-your-quicken-information-to-your-posts-plus-...

Example:
    Quicken 2018 Rental Property Manager R3
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 14905.1000 taken from winver.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2017
    As mentioned, just launch a payee report, click the Customize star wheel and make sure Memo is checked. Trouble is I don't think you can sort or subtotal by memo. The intermediate account should work. (I would have to test to be sure is all.) What, exactly, are you trying to accomplish? If all you want is to see a memo line just split the deposit and enter a memo on each split line. The problem is reports. This is where the intermediate account might help.
This discussion has been closed.