Paycheck with multiple deposit accounts results in uncategorized transactions

Hello,

I'm using Quicken 2017 and having an issue with paychecks.  I have setup the paycheck via the wizard which has multiple deposit accounts (joint checking, personal checking, and personal savings).  The issue I have is that register entries for the "non-primary' paycheck accounts show up as uncategorized.  I'm not sure what the correct category for these should be?  Please help!

Thanks,
Matt

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Alumni
    edited September 2017
    Hi MKlein49,

I'm sorry you are having trouble after setting up your paychecks. To help us provide the most appropriate response, please let us know which 2017 Quicken product (QWin or QMac) you are using. Also, are you using the US version of Quicken or Quicken Canada?

Thanks,
    Dave
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2020

Hi MKlein49,

I'm sorry you are having trouble after setting up your paychecks. To help us provide the most appropriate response, please let us know which 2017 Quicken product (QWin or QMac) you are using. Also, are you using the US version of Quicken or Quicken Canada?

Thanks,
    Dave

Hi Dave,

I have the US version of QWin.

Thanks,
    Matt
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    The first account is the primary account and it should be shown as the category in the subsequent accounts that the splits are made into.

All the categorization is done in the primary account, the others are just transfers from the primary.

This is a transaction from one of the split accounts:

Are you saying that yours does not look like the above example?

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2020

The first account is the primary account and it should be shown as the category in the subsequent accounts that the splits are made into.

All the categorization is done in the primary account, the others are just transfers from the primary.

My Check looks exactly like the example above.  However, if I went to "Steve Savings" or "Cash Account" I would see an entry for 234 and 345 respectively but they would be uncategorized.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

Please check that the other account registers (Savings, Cash in this example) include the Category column.

If the column is missing from the register, add it in. There's a Columns gear icon right next to the Balance column header. Click it then select the Category field.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2020

Yes, it has the category column but it is blank for those entries.  It's not clear to me how those should be categorized?
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

That's not possible if the entries in the other accounts were created as a result of executing the paycheck reminder and making it a set of register transactions.
    The only way you can get uncategorized transactions in these registers that I can think of would be as a result of downloading transactions and automatically accepting them into your registers without executing the paycheck reminder prior to download.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

As UKR stated, it is during the reminder's creation of the transfers that the category is filled in with the appropriate category of the matching account name.  You can not put it in there yourself.

Create a new paycheck reminder with sample numbers like I used to see if it was a fluke that the current one didn't work correctly.  Then make screenshots like I did and paste them into a comment for us to see.  If the new one works, just edit it to have the correct numbers and delete the old paycheck reminder.

It could be that you need to run the latest Mondo patch found at click here to fix a problem with your installation.  Then try the new reminder again.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2020

Just tried a test paycheck and it worked fine.

So what is the fix for the existing checks?  I probably have around 20 that are in that state.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

Let's start with the simplest possible fix.  Just select each one, split it and re-save it.
    After the 1st you should know if this is working.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2020

Ah, I see what the problem is...I deleted one of the deposit items from an existing check and re-added it.  The entry showed in the register with the correct category.  I then matched it to downloaded transaction which cleared the category.

Should i not match that to a downloaded transaction?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Why is there a transfer from the primary account to the other split accounts. it doesnt make sense that the money comes to my primary and it is recorded as a transfer to other accounts. Is there a way that the category on these accounts can say just Salary ?
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

Why is there a transfer from the primary account to the other split accounts. it doesnt make sense that the money comes to my primary and it is recorded as a transfer to other accounts. Is there a way that the category on these accounts can say just Salary ?

Because the whole paycheck has to go somewhere and doing the transfers out is the way Quicken designed it to work.  If you don't like it that way, then create separate reminders for each of the accounts and do not include the splits in the "main" deposit.  I think that you will find that more confusing when you look at the data at a later date.

This discussion has been closed.