Securities name changes when updating securities

Options
Michael Curry
Michael Curry Member ✭✭
edited May 2022 in Investing (Mac)
How can I set a security's name so that it does not change every time I update the prices? 
I edit the name by going to Windows>Securities but every time I update the security prices Quicken resets the name.

This is rather annoying as I have different types of shares from the same issuer and Quicken names them all after the issuer so I can't distinguish between which one is the common stock versus preferred series B versus preferred C. 

Same thing happens with my mutual funds. I have six separate funds from the same issuer but Quicken insists on giving them all the same name.

Is there a way the securities can just be listed by symbol or a way to change the names so that Quicken doesn't reset them every time I update prices?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Comments

• Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2017
    Options
    What version Quicken for Mac are you using?
    Do you download from your Fi? If you do the names in the security detail cannot be modified
  • John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Yes, it is going to get overwritten by what the Quotes provider uses based on the ticker.

While we don't have control over how the Quotes provider operates, one thing that would be very helpful here would be able to display the symbol in Investment account registers. That way you could see which are the B, C shares, etc. You can display the symbol in the Security list, but not in the register view.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Options

Yes, it is going to get overwritten by what the Quotes provider uses based on the ticker.

While we don't have control over how the Quotes provider operates, one thing that would be very helpful here would be able to display the symbol in Investment account registers. That way you could see which are the B, C shares, etc. You can display the symbol in the Security list, but not in the register view.

We may not have control but I say that Quicken should NEVER overwrite user data unless specifically given permission to do so. In QM2007 I could name my securities what I wanted and Quicken did not overwrite my data. This should be changed.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Michael Curry
    Michael Curry Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Options

What version Quicken for Mac are you using?
    Do you download from your Fi? If you do the names in the security detail cannot be modified

Quicken for Mac 2017
This discussion has been closed.