TIAA Traditional downloaded transaction shows "Added" with 0 value; How delete ?

renrut4
renrut4 Member ✭✭
edited December 2018 in Investing (Windows)
Since TIAA-CREF enabled transaction downloads, I now get a $0 transaction EVERY day that I have to accept. None of my other accounts do this..someone posted this years ago and I can't find the answer - can someone help?  It is annoying when there are 10 different TIAA accounts all adding $0 every day...It is in the register..

Comments

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    If TIAA-CREF is downloading unnecessary transactions, you need to take that issue up with them.  Quicken is going to process what it is given.  

I am not sure why you "have to accept".  You should be able to click the Edit option rather than accept and then select delete.   
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Curious.  Because my wife also has an account at TIAA, invested in "TIAA Traditional" and I download from it 6 days a week ... and have never experienced this.

When you do TOOLS, Account List, and click EDIT across from your TIAA account, does the "Financial Institution" show as TIAA or TIAA-CREF?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• renrut4
    renrut4 Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Interesting...it says TIAA - I will try with TIAA-CREF
  • renrut4
    renrut4 Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    TIAA-CREF wasn't an option for me...
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    renrut4 said:

TIAA-CREF wasn't an option for me...

Mine reads TIAA also.  So, when you do TOOLS, Account List, what does it say in the "Transactions Download" column across from your TIAA acount?

Also, are you showing TIAA Traditional (or, whatever you've named the security) in the account?  Or are you using the 401k Wizard's security name?

Lastly, do HELP, Log Files, OFX Log.  Save this to your desktop, and then open it with NotePad or WordPad (NOT MS Word).  Do a search for TIAA Traditional.  What shows there?  (I'm trying to narrow down if this is a TIAA issue, or a Q issue).

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I recently set up downloads for TIAA also, and I am having similar problems with Zero amount transactions for TIAA Traditional. I am running Q2017 Premier on Windows 10.

In the account list, the FI shows as TIAA.

In the security details, it shows as Name=TIAA, Symbol=TIAAtrad, CUSIP=878094101. I entered the name and symbol manually when I set up the account.  Matched to online Security is checked.

In the OFX log, it is connecting to ofx-service.tiaa-cref.org.

It appears to be downloading a transaction with a zero amount and a memo of "TIAA Traditional Balance Update". This what shows up in my transaction list (and I end up deleting)

It appears that TIAA-CREF updates the TIAA Traditional holding value every business day with the accumulated interest at a share price of 1.00. Because there is no matching Reinvest transaction, this leads to a mismatch when I do a Reconcile Shares. (I have the automatic creation of Placeholder transactions turned off) 

I will try changing the security name to TIAA Traditional to see if that makes a difference. I am not hopeful. In the meantime, I am deleting the zero transactions and letting the mismatched share balance accumulate till the end of the month.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

I recently set up downloads for TIAA also, and I am having similar problems with Zero amount transactions for TIAA Traditional. I am running Q2017 Premier on Windows 10.

In the security details, it shows as Name=TIAA, Symbol=TIAAtrad, CUSIP=878094101. I entered the name and symbol manually when I set up the account.  Matched to online Security is checked.

It appears to be downloading a transaction with a zero amount and a memo of "TIAA Traditional Balance Update". This what shows up in my transaction list (and I end up deleting)

It appears that TIAA-CREF updates the TIAA Traditional holding value every business day with the accumulated interest at a share price of 1.00. Because there is no matching Reinvest transaction, this leads to a mismatch when I do a Reconcile Shares. (I have the automatic creation of Placeholder transactions turned off) 

I will try changing the security name to TIAA Traditional to see if that makes a difference. I am not hopeful. In the meantime, I am deleting the zero transactions and letting the mismatched share balance accumulate till the end of the month.

Jim, what type of account is your TIAA account, a 401(k)?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Jim_Harman
    edited March 2017

It is a 403(b) from a former employer and is set up as such in Quicken. 
  • mshiggins
    edited March 2017

I wonder what is different with NotACPA's wife's account as he noted he is not getting the daily interest transactions.

What about the TIAA Traditional security? What security type is it? Have you marked it a tax free or changed the investment goal?

• Jim_Harman
    edited March 2017

I have it set up as Type=Mutual fund, not tax free, investing goal = Retirement. The account of course is tax deferred.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

Here's my account setup for TIAA.  I download via Direct Connect, and the TIAA Traditional (symbol = TIAATrad) is "unclassified".  In reality it's a Guaranteed Income Contract, an investment type that Q doesn't directly support.

I just noticed that the quote for TIAA Traditional is only updated when I enter the month-end value readjustment, even though TIAA is included in my daily OSU and the security is marked for "download quotes".

NOTE that as a GIC (which in reality acts like a CD), all of my transactions in the account are for $1.

• Jim_Harman
    edited March 2017

My account setup is just like yours.

Do you get a value adjustment transaction downloaded just once a month? Does it come as a Reinvest of TIAAtrad with a share price of 1, or some other way? During the month, if you do a Reconcile Shares, do the share balances match?

I seem to be getting these transactions every time I do a OSU Tues-Sat, and the downloaded shares for TIAAtrad goes up after every business day. 
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

It's not apparent that I'm getting ANYTHING downloaded from TIAA.  The transactions in the account are ones that I manually input to adjust the EOM balance.

Also, I just did a "Download Historical Prices" for TIAATrad ... and got nothing.

Lastly, my wife has submitted the paperwork to liquidate her TIAA account (which was from a former employer).  It'll take 10 years and she received (last July) the 1st of the payouts.  When we submitted the paperwork, there was some paperwork that we received that indicated some type of change in her investment (although both before and after look the same to me).  But I wonder if this could be the difference?

• Jim_Harman
    edited March 2017

Aha.

TIAAtrad is TIAA's internal ticker; it is not a publicly traded fund so you don't get any quote info for it. I think you will find the price history (always 1.00) is only updated when you connect to TIAA for downloads. 

I had been manually entering my TIAA/CREF info, maybe I will go back to that because the downloads seem more trouble than they are worth. 

In addition to this issue, the downloaded data does not include anything from their "self-directed account," a brokerage window that lets you invest in funds not included in your plan.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    More curiousity.  In 2016, we took a withdrawal from the TIAA plan ... and rolled it over into a Fidelity Rollover IRA.

On TIAA's website, I tried to initiate a download of 2016 transactions ... and NOTHING (of any use) was in the QFX file (per looking at the OFX Log in Q/Help).  Same when I tried to download "Last 90 days".

I'm thinking that TIAATrad is, simply, not downloadable.  And since that's the only position that she has at TIAA, I'm wasting Q's time by trying to download from it.

• Jim_Harman
    edited November 2018
    Well in my case the daily balance for TIAAtrad downloads but the Reinvest transaction that ought to make it go up every day downloads as an Add of 0 shares.

Some useful transactions do download from TIAA/CREF however. Dividend reinvestments and Sells on real mutual funds in the account, do download properly.
  • mshiggins
    edited October 2018
    Just curious. Would you guys (Dan and Jim) mind posting your TIAA traditional security dialog?

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    mshiggins said:

Just curious. Would you guys (Dan and Jim) mind posting your TIAA traditional security dialog?

Here's mine.  The "Shares Held", "Market Value" and "Cost Basis" are the same number ... since it's a constant $1/sh.

• Jim_Harman
    edited November 2018
    Bear with me, first try at the Snip tool

• Jim_Harman
    edited November 2018
    and this...

All the transactions except the Bought and the BoughtX were entered manually.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    I think there should be a white paper from quicken about the best way to handle this. As you said, "In reality it's a Guaranteed Income Contract, an investment type that Q doesn't directly support."  Maybe it's time to support GICs. There are lots of TiAA investors who use Quicken.
  • Jim_Harman
    edited December 2018
    Catherine et al,

Here is an update on how I am handling downloads from TIAA. This works for QWin 2018.

My settings in Preferences/Downloaded transactions are:
    --Automatically add transactions to transaction list - NO
    --Compare account portfolio after download - YES

TIAA Traditional continues to download as an Add of 0 shares every day, with an adjustment to the value of the investment. I only download from TIAA on the day after the last trading day of the month. I accept the Add transaction. When I am done accepting transactions, Quicken tells me that the balance for TIAA Traditional is off by say $123.45. I cancel this dialog. I edit the Add transaction to make it a ReinvDiv of $123.45, buying 123.45 shares. The shares now reconcile.

Also, TIAA has now started providing downloads for the Self-Directed Brokerage acct, resolving the other problem I had been seeing. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018
    Thanks. I will try that.  I need to figure out all the other transactions and how to make sense of those. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018

More curiousity.  In 2016, we took a withdrawal from the TIAA plan ... and rolled it over into a Fidelity Rollover IRA.

On TIAA's website, I tried to initiate a download of 2016 transactions ... and NOTHING (of any use) was in the QFX file (per looking at the OFX Log in Q/Help).  Same when I tried to download "Last 90 days".

I'm thinking that TIAATrad is, simply, not downloadable.  And since that's the only position that she has at TIAA, I'm wasting Q's time by trying to download from it.

I just found this thread, searching for a solution to the issue of discrepant TIAA amounts... in the meantime I can contribute something to the question of transferring funds out. 
    If you set up a "Transfer Payout Annuity" it takes 9 years and 1 day: 10 payments, one year apart. The money that will be transferred out is set aside somehow when you set up the TPA; it goes into an annuity that I don't see in any download. 
  • Jim_Harman
    edited December 2018

Catherine et al,

Here is an update on how I am handling downloads from TIAA. This works for QWin 2018.

TIAA Traditional continues to download as an Add of 0 shares every day, with an adjustment to the value of the investment. I only download from TIAA on the day after the last trading day of the month. I accept the Add transaction. When I am done accepting transactions, Quicken tells me that the balance for TIAA Traditional is off by say $123.45. I cancel this dialog. I edit the Add transaction to make it a ReinvDiv of $123.45, buying 123.45 shares. The shares now reconcile.

Also, TIAA has now started providing downloads for the Self-Directed Brokerage acct, resolving the other problem I had been seeing. 

Correction/clarification: I leave the check box for TIAA unselected except on the day after the last trading day of the month. After the month-end download, I accept the Add of 0 shares and Quicken says the share balance for TIAA Traditional is off by 123.45 shares. I cancel this dialog...
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018

Catherine et al,

Makes sense. Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.