Deleting tiny fractional shares

Ken W.
Ken W. Member ✭✭✭
edited October 2018 in Investing (Mac)
Using Quicken 2017 for Mac 4.4.3 with OS 0.11.6. Recently migrated from Q2007 for Mac. In my brokerage account I have several securities listed that I no longer own. The amount of shares shown are on the order of 0.000001. Is there a mean of *safely* deleting these securities? By "safely" I mean not creating serious problems with the account.

Comments

• J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I ran into this in some old accounts and was able to correct without any apparent problems.
    Add the Share Balance column to your register - it will display shares to 6 decimals.
    For ease in viewing, I filtered the register for the security in question - enter the security name in the Search field @ upper-right.
    Scroll to the last Sell and tweak the number of shares sold in this last transaction +/- the residual error.
    When zeroed out, the share balance will report '0.00' - zero with 2 decimals.

Suppose one could also do a Remove Shares for the residual error - would not expect any problems with this approach either.
    QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Just as an FYI, in QWin, there's an option (in the Sell dialog) to "Sell All shares" of the particular security in the particular account ... which nicely handles this tiny shares issue.

Someone might request that as an enhancement to QMac.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Lyn Buddenhagen
    Lyn Buddenhagen Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Hi Ken, I am using the same versions and Mac OS as you; what I did was to go to Portfolio View, open the tax lots for the security in question (small triangle to the left of the name), and look to see what tax lot has the fractional shares, to find the date. Then I went to the Transactions View, put the name of the security in the search field (and waited until the app found and displayed the info), and was able to either delete or fix that specific entry. Poof! I was able to fix some problems I had in the old QM2007 that way.
  • Ken W.
    Ken W. Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

Hi Ken, I am using the same versions and Mac OS as you; what I did was to go to Portfolio View, open the tax lots for the security in question (small triangle to the left of the name), and look to see what tax lot has the fractional shares, to find the date. Then I went to the Transactions View, put the name of the security in the search field (and waited until the app found and displayed the info), and was able to either delete or fix that specific entry. Poof! I was able to fix some problems I had in the old QM2007 that way.

Lyn:

Thank you so much for the suggestion. Unfortunately, it won't work in this case. I did as you directed, the display of the security is to only four decimal places and the remaining fraction is .000001. I can't delete the transaction I found. It seems I really have to adjust the share amount in the last decimal place, a decimal place that is not displayed. (:o(
  • Lyn Buddenhagen
    Lyn Buddenhagen Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017

Can you edit the transaction(s) and re-enter the shares field with no decimal places? I only had one of these and it was awhile ago, so I can't replicate the problem and re-create my solution, sorry. 
This discussion has been closed.