Quicken not opening right data file

auklet
auklet Member ✭✭
while purchasing the latest upgrade (not yet downloaded) Q somehow got into the 'new account setup' track, and my years of data vanished. How can I search for the data file I used a few days ago? I paused my Carbonite backup so the data will be there, but it should be on the laptop still, if only I can locate it.

Comments

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    See if this FAQ helps: Default location of Data File created/stored for Quicken for Mac

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• auklet
    auklet Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    thanks, but following the FAQ only found me old data files in the Library - the new one accidentally created a few days ago, and one that ends last year. I tried searching the finder, using the second route, for 'kind is other", but the Finder only allows me to search in a particular folder- desktop, documents, etc- not the entire Mac. I guess I have to select the right folder to search in? 
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    auklet said:

thanks, but following the FAQ only found me old data files in the Library - the new one accidentally created a few days ago, and one that ends last year. I tried searching the finder, using the second route, for 'kind is other", but the Finder only allows me to search in a particular folder- desktop, documents, etc- not the entire Mac. I guess I have to select the right folder to search in? 

It seems your default is set to search current or last folder used. The first step after you open the search window is to click "Search This Mac " at the top of the window.

HTH.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• auklet
    auklet Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    auklet said:

hi, that does not work. my Find window shows 'search this mac' and  then a folder name. I do not have the option of searching in any folder. it does not allow me to choose the higher level search.
  • auklet
    auklet Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    auklet said:

hm. maybe it does. If I highlight the 'this mac' button I guess it does search the higher level. but if I try to search by file type, there are no results. 
  • auklet
    auklet Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    auklet said:

the FAQ specifies using the search by file type 'other' and then 'quicken data file'. But there are no results for anything let alone quicken data file.
  • auklet
    auklet Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    auklet said:

what puzzles me is that the Library folder easily shows me the new empty data file created by quicken- and it also shows an old one I found and opened, thinking it was the latest file. But where did the one I've been using for 8 months go...
  • auklet
    auklet Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    auklet said:

I just spend an hour with Carbonite support. They confirmed that Carbonite has not backed up my Quicken data since December, for some reason, so they cannot solve my problem. I have found that quicken data file. But something happened then- I have used Q a lot since that time and the data must have been saved somewhere else. I think I have to search for all quicken data on my laptop, still. Q lost track of it, or deleted it, when I started the upgrade process.
  • auklet
    auklet Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    auklet said:

OK, this is odd. I opened up the Quicken data file I found- correct name- which mysteriously stops in December last year. I downloaded my transactions again from the bank, expecting to have to recategorized everything manually. But Q correctly assigned categories to 90% of them- not payee (all are 'withdrawal'). If Q lost the data, how could it categorize them correctly?
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    auklet said:

In this file were the balances right? Maybe your register was just sorted in a different way or filtered and you weren't seeing the transactions. Was the data missing in one or a few accounts or from all your accounts?

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

This discussion has been closed.