QWin 2016 Deluxe (R12): Memorized investment transaction not supported in last opened investment acc

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited November 2018 in Investing (Windows)

I have memorized an investment transaction and it shows up in my investment transaction list, but when I click "Use", I get a pop up dialogue box that says "Memorized investment transaction not supported in last opened investment account"  I have successfully used other memorized investment transactions.  I'm using Quicken Deluxe 2016 R12 25.1.12.2

Comments

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    What type of transaction is the memorized transaction, e.g., a Buy? What was the last investment account you used in the Quicken session?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2017
    It's a BoughtX.  It doesn't seem to matter what the last investment account I used.  For example, I just opened Quicken went to the account where the memorized transaction is from, go to Memorized Investment Transactions, click on the transaction and hit Use and the dialogue box comes up.  I only have 1 other memorized transaction (from another account) in my list.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2017
    Chris said:

It's a BoughtX.  It doesn't seem to matter what the last investment account I used.  For example, I just opened Quicken went to the account where the memorized transaction is from, go to Memorized Investment Transactions, click on the transaction and hit Use and the dialogue box comes up.  I only have 1 other memorized transaction (from another account) in my list.

Is the other memorized investment transaction ALSO a BOUGHTX?

Because if they aren't, I'm guessing (and its just a guess) that Quicken can't handle this "two in one" memorized investment transaction.  

How about a BUY and then a transfer as two separate memorized transactions?

Or, if this DID work at one time, how about just deleting the BOUGHTX memorized transaction and recreating a new one?  Sometimes that fixes the problem.  Don't ask why. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2017
    Chris said:

The other memorized investment transaction is also BoughtX.  It's for a totally separate account and I've used it successfully (I just set this up....had some difficulty getting it to show up in the list, but after searching the forums, I found a suggestion to go Memorize the payee first and as soon as I did this and THEN memorized the investment transaction, it showed up).  I am now trying to setup a 2nd memorized investment transaction - followed the same steps, and now I get this dialogue box.

I've already tried deleting this new memorized investment transaction and recreating it - no matter what I do, I get that dialogue box.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2017
    Chris said:

I'm out of suggestions then.  Sorry.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Memorized Investment Transactions are entered in the currently open investment account.

Is there perhaps something about the account that you are trying to use that is inconsistent with the memorized transaction? With a BoughtX, maybe the transfer account is the same as the one you are in?

Is there something different about the memorized transaction that works, or the account that you use it in? Maybe one account is a regular brokerage account and the other is a single mutual fund account? Or one account has a linked checking account and the other doesn't?  
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2017
    Chris said:

Thanks for trying!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Both memorized investment transactions are investment accounts that get transfers from the same checking account. 

The one that works is a transfer to buy shares of a single mutual fund and that mutual fund is the only one in the investment account.

The one that is throwing the dialogue box is a transfer to buy shares of a single mutual fund as well, however, within that account there are 2 funds (2 different share classes of the same fund).  The memorized transaction I'm trying to use is simply a transfer to buy shares of one of those fund classes.  I can't imagine how having 2 different share classes of the same fund in an account would impact a memorized investment transaction assuming that I memorize the transaction of the share class that I want to use on a recurring basis....and I checked-I did memorize the transaction with the correct share class.

I could probably get away from this problem if I downloaded my transactions, but I'm doing it manually because:

a) I'm trying to catch up on transactions I haven't recorded from some time ago and 
    b) I like the manual approach because it helps me keep a pulse on how the account is doing

I'm just trying to set up a memorized transaction as a shortcut to entering data each month....very similar to what I do with bill and income reminders.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Chris said:

Both memorized investment transactions are investment accounts that get transfers from the same checking account. 

The one that works is a transfer to buy shares of a single mutual fund and that mutual fund is the only one in the investment account.

The one that is throwing the dialogue box is a transfer to buy shares of a single mutual fund as well, however, within that account there are 2 funds (2 different share classes of the same fund).  The memorized transaction I'm trying to use is simply a transfer to buy shares of one of those fund classes.  I can't imagine how having 2 different share classes of the same fund in an account would impact a memorized investment transaction assuming that I memorize the transaction of the share class that I want to use on a recurring basis....and I checked-I did memorize the transaction with the correct share class.

I could probably get away from this problem if I downloaded my transactions, but I'm doing it manually because:

a) I'm trying to catch up on transactions I haven't recorded from some time ago and 
    b) I like the manual approach because it helps me keep a pulse on how the account is doing

I'm just trying to set up a memorized transaction as a shortcut to entering data each month....very similar to what I do with bill and income reminders.

Just out of curiosity, please double check that the funds that are 2 share classes in the same account have different ticker symbols.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2017
    Chris said:

They have different ticker symbols and this shows up in the security details.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Chris said:

Go into Edit Account Details. Is the one account you're having difficulty with configured as a "Single Mutual Fund" account?

If yes, there appear to be some limits as to what you can do with this account.
    Try changing the account to SMF = "No".

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2017
    Chris said:

It is set as "No" already.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2017
    Chris said:

How about the names?  Are they the same...or unique?

So, Vanguard Capital Opportunity isn't the same as Vanguard Capital Opportunity Admiral shares.

If you have them both listed as Vanguard Capital Opportunity, despite them having different security symbols, Quicken may be confused as to which is which.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2017
    Chris said:

They are listed as Fund Name - Admiral and Fund Name - Investor
  • mshiggins
    edited July 2017

I was advised:

There are restrictions on certain transactions being entered in certain
    Quicken investment accounts.

The error refers to the account that is "open" when
    "Use" is clicked - my interpretation is that the memorized
    transaction is not valid for the account that is currently open.

You will get the reported error message:

_ If you try to Use any memorized investment transaction that
    contains the name of a security, in  a Single Mutual Fund account that
    holds a different security.

_ If you try to Use a memorized Bought transaction in a Single Mutual
    Fund account or a Brokerage  account with a linked checking account.

_ If you try to Use a memorized BoughtX transaction in an IRA
    account. [Not sure I completely  understand this one, since you can
    manually enter a BoughtX transaction in an IRA account - but if you memorize a
    BoughtX transaction in an IRA account, you can't Use it in the account
    from which it was memorized (or any other IRA account). I'm not  sure how
    big a problem this is since I don't think you should utilize a BoughtX in an
    IRA account. I  think cash should get into an IRA account via cash
    transfers (producing ContribX transactions in the IRA account), then the cash
    in the IRA account can be used to make purchases ... using the Bought Action.]

I see the op has said the transaction is a BoughtX and the account is NOT a
    Single Mutual Fund account. The only possibility I can think of is that the
    open account is an IRA account.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2017
    Mshiggins - Thank you.  The memorized transaction is a BoughtX in an IRA account - so the error is being generated per the last of your scenarios above.  I agree 100% with you that I don't understand why this is causing the error because:

a) as you pointed out, you can manually enter a BoughtX in an IRA account
    b) I am using the "Use Cash for this transaction" part of the input box when I enter manually.  In my case, the cash is just coming from a bank account.

I'm only using Quicken to keep track of transactions/account balances all in one place.  I don't use it for tax purposes or keeping track of a cost basis.  My point in this is that it doesn't matter to me whether the transaction is a BoughtX vs ContribX....all I want to see is that $x comes out of my bank account and purchases shares in the IRA.....and BoughtX does this.  I've always entered manually until now.  Only recently have I tried to take advantage of some of the automated features of Quicken because I had a lot of old transactions to enter, so that's why I haven't had this issue before.  My other account where I successfully use memorized investment transaction is a brokerage account...so that is why I don't get the error.

I manually entered the data over the weekend and it wasn't that bad, so I'm not too disappointed that I didn't get this to work.  That being said, it's annoying that Quicken lets you do something manually, but when you try to automate it, it throws an error - this is something that should be corrected.

Thanks again for your help - I would have never figured this out on my own!
  • mshiggins
    edited July 2017
    Chris said:

Mshiggins - Thank you.  The memorized transaction is a BoughtX in an IRA account - so the error is being generated per the last of your scenarios above.  I agree 100% with you that I don't understand why this is causing the error because:

b) I am using the "Use Cash for this transaction" part of the input box when I enter manually.  In my case, the cash is just coming from a bank account.

I'm only using Quicken to keep track of transactions/account balances all in one place.  I don't use it for tax purposes or keeping track of a cost basis.  My point in this is that it doesn't matter to me whether the transaction is a BoughtX vs ContribX....all I want to see is that $x comes out of my bank account and purchases shares in the IRA.....and BoughtX does this.  I've always entered manually until now.  Only recently have I tried to take advantage of some of the automated features of Quicken because I had a lot of old transactions to enter, so that's why I haven't had this issue before.  My other account where I successfully use memorized investment transaction is a brokerage account...so that is why I don't get the error.

I manually entered the data over the weekend and it wasn't that bad, so I'm not too disappointed that I didn't get this to work.  That being said, it's annoying that Quicken lets you do something manually, but when you try to automate it, it throws an error - this is something that should be corrected.

Glad you found the info helpful.

• mshiggins
    edited August 2017
    Chris said:

Passing along the advice I received:

The IRA restriction on Using BoughtX still exists in
    Q2017 R6.

"Cash Transferred into account" transactions
    can be entered, memorized then Used in IRA accounts.

So by Using two transactions (Xin and Bought), memorized
    transactions can be employed to make buys in IRA accounts.

This discussion has been closed.