Stock Options

Options
Unknown
Unknown Member
edited September 2018 in Investing (Mac)
Is there any way to enter stock options in Quicken for Mac 2017? I used to use Quicken on Windows years ago, and it had this feature. Where is it on the Mac version?

As a side note, it seems like Quicken for Mac is woefully lacking in the functionality that exists on Windows. All the online help is only for the Windows version. You can't even get premium support for the Mac version. When trying to chat with anyone, it waits for an agent, then dies before you ever connect with someone. Aren't these products supposed to be the same?

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Well, no. Quicken for Mac was started over a few years back with Quicken Essentials. This has evolved to Quicken 2015-2017 for Mac. However, the Windows version has a much, much longer development history and the Mac version is playing catch up. Functionality is being added to the Mac version, but it's going to be quite some time before there is full parity between them (if ever). For some folks, the Mac version does everything they need. For others, it is not adequate.

If you're on a Mac and you need functionality that's only in the Windows version, your only real alternative is to run the Windows version in a virtual environment such as Boot Camp or Parallels Desktop.

By the way, there is a support page for the Mac version:

https://www.quicken.com/support#osx

Which includes this link:

https://www.quicken.com/getting-started-quicken-mac-2017
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I did work through bootcamp and a virtual computer for a while. But this is very cumbersome. For the software to be useful, it needs to be easy to use. This leads to needing a Mac native application.

I just think that it is false advertising if the program is completely different other than the look and feel. By naming it the same, the assumption is that it is the same program. It's a shame too. I am liking the look, feel and operation better. But the large lack of functionality vs Windows is making it unuseable as an all in one personal finance package.

I was hoping to find an answer to my needs so that I could stick with it. But it sounds like this is not possible.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Matt said:

I did work through bootcamp and a virtual computer for a while. But this is very cumbersome. For the software to be useful, it needs to be easy to use. This leads to needing a Mac native application.

I just think that it is false advertising if the program is completely different other than the look and feel. By naming it the same, the assumption is that it is the same program. It's a shame too. I am liking the look, feel and operation better. But the large lack of functionality vs Windows is making it unuseable as an all in one personal finance package.

I was hoping to find an answer to my needs so that I could stick with it. But it sounds like this is not possible.

Meanwhile, I also highly recommend that you browse through the IDEAS section of this forum and VOTE for the request of each of the missing features to be added back into Quicken for Mac....to help direct the priorities of the developers.

This will help make the transition easier for you when you are ready to upgrade by seeking to have the features you are used to in QWin end up in the latest version.

To do that click on this underlined linkfollowing the instructions then VOTE to your heart's content
    Categorized List of IDEAS of Feature Requests and Enhancements to Vote On

Your VOTE matters!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
      FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
      Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
      Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• smayer97
      smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
      edited August 2017
      Options
      Matt said:

In particular, you can add your VOTE to Add capability to enter stock options and restricted stock units grants.

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the List of Requests Related to Investments. Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. 

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
      FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
      Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
      Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

This discussion has been closed.