Securities are not updating automatically

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited May 2022 in Investing (Mac)
I just noticed that my Securities haven't updated their prices since May 5th. If I look at a given security, it says Last Download 5/5/17 and if I click on Options, "Download Quotes for this Security" is on. If I update manually, it updates just fine. The automatic updates worked from when I started earlier this year until 5/5. My regular accounts are updating/downloading fine. I'm not seeing any trigger to "update securities" so I'm assuming it's supposed to happen when I update the accounts. 

Any guidance on how to get this working again?

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited August 2017
    See menu Quicken > Preferences > General...

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2017
    Sorry I should have mentioned that that checkbox is checked. I even unchecked that pref, saved the file and reopened and re-checked it, but that hasn't made a difference. 
  • RickO
    edited August 2017

Sorry I should have mentioned that that checkbox is checked. I even unchecked that pref, saved the file and reopened and re-checked it, but that hasn't made a difference. 

You can manually trigger a quote update by going to the portfolio view of any investment account and clicking the Update Quotes button in the upper right...

If that's not working, perhaps there's a problem with your internet connection?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2017

Accounts update just fine, and no other internet hiccups elsewhere. But you may be onto something. I have not gotten around to setting up my Investment accounts, so most of the ticker symbols that I'm tracking are NOT associated with a Portfolio. Maybe they don't update automatically until they are associated with an Investment account?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2017

Back when I imported the data, the security price history came in, but NOT the ticker symbol, so I had to add those all individually. And they downloaded automatically for the first month (roughly April 5- May 5).   
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    I should have noted in the original question that if I go to the Price History of a given security, and hit the "refresh" button, it does update the securities' prices. But that's pretty impractical with 50 securities.
  • RickO
    edited August 2017

You may be on to something that they don't update unless they are in a portfolio somewhere. I've never run across that before.
  • John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited August 2017

I should have noted in the original question that if I go to the Price History of a given security, and hit the "refresh" button, it does update the securities' prices. But that's pretty impractical with 50 securities.

Do you have the option within the security itself to download prices (checked) for that security? You can selectively disable (uncheck) this within that security's price history window.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2017

I'm trying to avoid needing to update individual securities manually.
  • John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited August 2017

I understand that. What I mean is to check the option within  that security so that it is supposed to automatically download the stock quotes.

I know you have it set to auto download all quotes at the global level, and it manually updates. But, within each you can purposely disable downloading. This is useful for securities you no longer own but held at one time. Check to see if somehow the securities have not been setup to download. You have to go into a single security and you will see the popup that allows you to enable/disable downloading for that individual security. (I am not on my Mac to give you a screenshot, but it is there.)
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2017

as I mentioned in the original question, I've gone to individual securities' Price History and am seeing that "Download Quotes for this Security" is "on" for each security that I've looked at.  Screenshot belowimage
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017

Just out of curiosity, what's the security symbol for the Quotes that you've shown?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2017

not necessary to disclose, but when I hit the "refresh" but, it did bring in the latest prices
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2017
    just confirming that when I added some securities to a brokerage account, they did "kick in" and auto-update the prices upon the next relaunch.  So, it seems that whatever changed in the code of Quicken 2017 back in May, stopped auto-updating securities that are NOT part of an account/portfolio. 
This discussion has been closed.