Upgrade added 100s transactions/erases loan payments

CTHERE
CTHERE Member ✭✭
I upgraded Quicken 2017 to the newest version 4.6.7 on a Mac with MacOS Sierra 10.12.6. Suddenly my checking balances were thousands of dollars different from my bank. On top of that, Wells Fargo stopped offering online connection without subscriptions, so I'm not downloading online transactions now. AND Quicken decided to reconfigure how Reconcile works so I could no longer use reconcile to see what was the problem. 

Quickens answer is to just take a balance adjustment and move on. This is not acceptable to me. I have been using Quicken since 1996 and have reconciled transactions in my accounts since then. I had 20 years of reconciled information. I never leave a transaction uncategorized... 

I have pulled my hair out since the upgrade last month. However, thanks to @Smayer97 for the answer that Quicken's balance is always based on transactions, I started searching my accounts and now have some more concrete information. 

Issues since I upgraded to the most recent version:
  • Quicken has added hundreds of uncategorized transactions called "balance adjustment" all the way back to 1996
  • Quicken has deleted the loan "transfers" for the principle on loans that were hidden, making all the principle payments Uncategorized
  • Quicken added ALL these transactions as reconciled, so I can't see what I did vs. what it did
  • Quicken has added duplicate check transactions with the payee name "Missing Name 1, Missing Name 3, etc." 
  • Quicken has deleted deposits from other bank accounts and instead of [Transfer] made them all uncategorized
Here's a sample:

So, my question is, what should I do? Go back through 20 years of transactions and try to remove them all? Unhide hidden accounts and retransfer? Try to go back to older versions? Abandon Quicken and try YNAB or Bankify? 

This is so awful. 
Thank you for any advice. 
Carla

Comments

• Michael Heady
    Michael Heady Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Carla:

I feel your pain. I'm absolutely disgusted with what has happened with Quicken since the separation from Intuit.

I was fortunate enough to be running 2007 in parallel with 2017 so when everything went to crap I stopped using 2017 and 2007 still works fine, but I have not upgraded my MacBook to the latest release of OS X.

I think it is unconscionable that there has been no communication from Quicken management, other than the announcement of 2018 and asking me to fill out a survey of how likely I am to recommend the product. If it wasn't so negatively impacting so many people it might be funny, or at least the fodder for a Harvard B-School review on how to run a business into the ground!

I honestly think it might be time to consider a class action lawsuit!
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited August 2018
    Carla check the perspective account registers for placeholders, these are usually located at the beginning the register in light gray. Depending on your situation you may need to edit or delete the placeholders. Make a backup before you get started.

WRT WF have you been using direct connect?
  • CTHERE
    CTHERE Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017

Carla check the perspective account registers for placeholders, these are usually located at the beginning the register in light gray. Depending on your situation you may need to edit or delete the placeholders. Make a backup before you get started.

No, I don't have any light gray transactions at the beginning of the register. These are sprinkled throughout. I haven't  determined why, other than the hidden loan/bank accounts.
    I was using WF quicken connect. 
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017

Not that it should matter but just out of curiosity what version were you upgrading from?

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• CTHERE
    CTHERE Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017

The most recent, 10.4.6.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017

Sorry, I meant what version of Quicken were you upgrading from?

And by 10.4.6 do you mean you just upgraded you Mac OS from that to Sierra?

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• CTHERE
    CTHERE Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017

Hi,  Sorry, that was wrong. That's my Mac OS system version. I
     have Quicken 2017 4.6.7 and I upgraded from the most recent version, which I guess was 4.6.6. I was using the most up-to-date version.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017

So your problem occurred when updating from 4.6.6 to 4.6.7? But you also say "AND Quicken decided to reconfigure how Reconcile works so I could no longer use reconcile to see what was the problem. " That change did not occur between these 2 versions. It occurred way back in QM2016 v3.5, and has been added into QM2015 a few weeks ago...so can you please clarify when you noticed these issues? Were you using another much older version of Quicken before moving to QM2017 (since you say your Mac OS was 10.4.6...which is REALLY old...) Need to better understand what has changed and when...

Also, did you change your download method (Direct Connect vs Quicken Connect vs Web Connect) at some point recently?

This discussion has been closed.