Missing Securites from the drop down selection box.

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited November 2018 in Investing (Windows)
When I try to do a securities transaction, two securities are missing from the drop down selection box. If I type in the security name manually, the transaction can be completed but there seems to be no record of the transaction if I do a security transaction report.  Quicken 2015 Version R15 Build 24.1.15.1.  Need to solve this before buying Quicken 2018.

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Are the securities hidden?

Go to the Security list (Ctrl-Y), check Show hidden securities at the bottom, and next to the problem securities make sure the Hide box is not checked.  After making your security visible, you can un-check Show hidden securities to clean up clutter in your drop-downs.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Another possibility is that you have the security type as index, which is only intended as the index itself and not something tracking the index.

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2018
    What are the secutities
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2018
    I tried the above two ideas with no success.  This problem precedes Quicken 2015 which I am using.  I assume a corrupted file.  I thought when I loaded Quicken 2015 over the older Quicken, the defect would go away.  Sadly no.  I was ready to go to Quicken 2018 but am afraid the same error will repeat.  I tried to get telephone support from Quicken.  After waiting well over an hour, the offshore tech cut our connection as I tried to explain the problem.  I was not going to wait for another hour so tried the chat line.  It said a six minute wait but I was never connected.  Given the bad press and the new business model for the new Quicken spinoff from Intuit,  I question why I should stay with Quicken despite being a user since 1988.  I have set up Gnucash as an alternative.  It is somewhat clunky but usable.  Any suggestions?
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    1) We'd  still like to know the names of the securities ... so that we can test the situation in our own TEST files.

2) Upgrading to a newer version almost NEVER resolves issues of this type

3) Have you tried Validating your Q data file?  FILE, File Operations, Validate and Repair ... being  SURE to check both "Validate File" and "Repair Investing Lots" before you click OK.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    1.  Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund
         Vanguard S & P 500 Index Fund

2.  Did not know that.

3.  Yes.  Not successful.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    Tried again to validate as per #3 above but still not successful.
    Thanks to all for trying to help.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Peter said:

2.  Did not know that.

Confirming that I'm testing with the correct 2 securities.
    Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund is VTI  And
    Vanguard S&P 500 Index Fund is VOO

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Peter said:

2.  Did not know that.

Assuming that those 2 symbols (and thus the ETFs) are correct ... I just added them to my Security List, and had no problems whatsoever using them in buy transactions.

What sort of transaction are you trying with these 2 securities?

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    VFIAX is Vanguard S & P 500.
    VTSAX is Vanguard Total Stock Market Index

Normal transactions are a BUY or, more often, Reinvesting Income such as dividends.

Once again, thanks for your help.
  • Jim_Harman
    edited November 2018
    When you say validation was not successful, do you mean that the validation completed with no errors but did not solve the problem, or that the validation itself failed?
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Peter said:

Normal transactions are a BUY or, more often, Reinvesting Income such as dividends.

No problems with these funds (others were the ETF's, sorry about that) either.
    Both properly showed up in the box for purchase transactions.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Peter said:

Have you double-checked that these funds are selected for inclusion in those reports?  They're not automatically added to previously memorized reports.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    I tried recreating the securities but that did not help.

As to their inclusion in reports, that is not the problem.  The problem is that they are not shown as a choice in the drop down box.

The validation completed with no errors.

Frustrating, what?
  • Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Peter said:

I tried the above two ideas with no success.  This problem precedes Quicken 2015 which I am using.  I assume a corrupted file.  I thought when I loaded Quicken 2015 over the older Quicken, the defect would go away.  Sadly no.  I was ready to go to Quicken 2018 but am afraid the same error will repeat.  I tried to get telephone support from Quicken.  After waiting well over an hour, the offshore tech cut our connection as I tried to explain the problem.  I was not going to wait for another hour so tried the chat line.  It said a six minute wait but I was never connected.  Given the bad press and the new business model for the new Quicken spinoff from Intuit,  I question why I should stay with Quicken despite being a user since 1988.  I have set up Gnucash as an alternative.  It is somewhat clunky but usable.  Any suggestions?

So the type for these securities is mutual fund?

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

• Jim_Harman
    edited November 2018
    And you are sure the securities are not hidden in the Security list?
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Peter said:

As to their inclusion in reports, that is not the problem.  The problem is that they are not shown as a choice in the drop down box.

Frustrating, what?

I'm not sure this point was fully understood and addressed.  The security type CANNOT be Market Index.  It can be most anything else, but Mutual Fund would generally be the best choice.  If you have the security type set to Market Index, then you get the behavior you are citing - omission from the drop down selections.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2018
    Also down at the bottom of Edit Security details is a choice Matched with online security.  It should be checked or greyed out!  It seems the word Index is confusing
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Peter said:

Frustrating, what?

You can lead a horse to water...

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    Peter said:

Frustrating, what?

That's the problem!  Your solution worked!  I wonder why "Market Index" is shown as an option.  I was completely taken in.  Thanks for the help.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Peter said:

Frustrating, what?

I wonder why "Market Index" is shown as an option. 
    Because it is an applicable choice for a select group of entities that a user might want to track that are somewhat like a security even though they are not traded.  Entities like the true DJIA, S&P500, etc.  Further, by typing such an entity as a "Market Index), it can be shown for comparison in other reports and graphs as an Index value.  Market Index as a security type serves a purpose.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    Peter said:

Frustrating, what?

I now understand.  Thanks again.
This discussion has been closed.