Automatic Program Updates prevent Quicken from Opening.

JonnyVee
JonnyVee Member ✭✭
Is there NO way to permanently shut off automatic program updates? Every time a forced update tries to worm it's way in during startup, it prevents Quicken from loading. I have to manually force qw.exe OFF and restart. Which just stalls again. Finally I ran qw.exe "as administrator" and THEN the force-update window showed. Which I force closed again, and then the next time I did not have to run as Admin, it just opened. And then ASKED me if I wanted to update once I got in and ran an update.

There should be a way to permanently shut off all forced updates, so we can choose to download the updates manually, or skip them when they are problematic.

EVERY TIME there has been an update in this last year, either my main quicken file was DESTROYED, or the Program LOCKED UP during the force update process.

Maybe something simple like a PROMPT, asking "New update, do you want to update (y/n)?" would be better than the program being FORCED to download the update, and then being locked out of the program. I read the post about deleting the "stage" folder, but that did not help much yesterday when I could not start my Quicken for about 45 Minutes. It's gotten to the point where, when Quicken successfully starts, I leave it running for 3 weeks, and sure enough, if I have to close it, the program is locked because of a forced update.

HOWEVER: Whenever I download the update files myself and run them, there are NO PROBLEMS.

Thank you.

Quicken 2016 R14 25.1.14.5
Windows 7
Quicken 2020 Deluxe
http://socialspit.net

Comments

• JonnyVee
    JonnyVee Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Also, this is new since Intuit was removed from Quicken: Errors in the code in the One-Step Update window. So far these have not interfered with retrieval of my transactions. In fact, I have nad no trouble like I used to connecting to my bank. The connection is sound, but it looks like some of the Data is not coming in as expected.

Edit: This is after applying the 14.1 update, and I am not using the "mondo" updates.

Windows 7
    Quicken 2020 Deluxe
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Change the UAC setting in Windows to a higher level so that you are asked for approval for any program that will change software on your computer.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    splasher said:

Change the UAC setting in Windows to a higher level so that you are asked for approval for any program that will change software on your computer.

That stops the install. It does not stop quickenpatch.exe trying to download the patch every time you start Quicken.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    splasher said:

That is good enough until Quicken let users decide to install update or else.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    splasher said:

@mshiggins

I was addressing the issue of Quicken doing a "forced update".  The UAC setting allows the user to decide when it will happen, nothing more or less.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• JonnyVee
    JonnyVee Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    splasher said:

Yah. good idea, but it does not work like that unfortunately. Or do you mean, if QW downloads a new COMPONENT, and UAC catching "new downloaded program"?

It won't work, because the quickenpatch.exe runs when QW is run, is called up by it. Hidden Process. But maybe that is the larger answer - Look for quickenpatch running in TaskManager.

Thanks all. NOW, are any of you having issues downloading transactions? 
    Windows 7
    Quicken 2020 Deluxe
  • JonnyVee
    JonnyVee Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    splasher said:

MSHIGGENS, what if I simply DELETED the quickenpatch.exe file? Or, moved it elsewhere until I need it?
    Windows 7
    Quicken 2020 Deluxe
  • JonnyVee
    JonnyVee Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    I deleted the frug out of my "QuickenPatch.exe" file. That should stop the auto updates? I prefer to update manually, always. I can always copy it back to the folder if need be,

Maybe a configuration file where I can shut off QuiickenPatch? Is there anything like that in the program? Like an INI file or a plist file?
    Windows 7
    Quicken 2020 Deluxe
  • Alixz
    Alixz Member ✭✭
    I also deleted the "frug" out of quickenPatch.exe but it just keeps coming back when Quicken is restarted. I have subscription 2019. Right now i hate it.
This discussion has been closed.