How do I bypass the following message when selling a security? Number of shares selected is more th

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited October 2018 in Investing (Windows)
Selling more securities than available.

Comments

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Why are you trying to sell more shares than are in the account? Have you not been recording Buys or Reinvested Dividends right?

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    OR, are you intentionally going from a Long position to a Short position?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017

The specifics do not matter. All I need to know is how to bypass that message.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    Or if it is even possible to bypass that message.
  • volvogirl
    edited November 2017
    Well the reason why makes a difference. Why don't you just check the little box to sell all shares and not worry about it? How much more are you trying to sell? Just a fraction?

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    The reason why is because I have not received my monthly statement yet stating the amount of dividends I received the prior month and reinvested.  But I do receive sell whenever a security is sold.  So, my semi-annual account rebalancing ended up selling all of the security and I am trying to enter that in Quicken.  I know the number of shares the dividend consisted of but I do not know when or at what price it was reinvested in my account.  Once I get my monthly statement, adding the dividend reinvestment would set my holdings of this security to zero.  And, no, I do not want to wait until my next statement to enter the sale of this security
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

And why can't you look up that transaction on the brokerage's website? Should be easy to do.

Generally, you can't enter a Sell transaction before all the Buys and Reinvests are recorded ... that's because the Sell can't properly calculate Capital Gains/Losses at sale time.

• volvogirl
    edited November 2017
    The actual price/share doesn't matter. You know the dividend amount and the number of shares. That's all you need. Go ahead and enter the reinvested dividend and let Quicken put in the price. You only need to match the actual $ and # of shares.

• volvogirl
    edited November 2017
    volvogirl said:

The actual price/share doesn't matter. You know the dividend amount and the number of shares. That's all you need. Go ahead and enter the reinvested dividend and let Quicken put in the price. You only need to match the actual $ and # of shares.

Oh you probably do not know the dividend amount either. I guess you could make up an entry to get the shares entered now to sell them and then edit the transaction when you get the real $. But like UKR said you can probably look it up online now.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Enter a temporary buy transaction for the total of the missing shares, do the sell, and then when you get the detail information, enter the correct information and delete the temporary.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2018
    Your Broker has a web site and a Telephone number.  In urgent situations I call or email my broker directly.  In this internet world, Quicken only knows what the internet tells it.  If this is an urgent situation bypass the intermediary.
This discussion has been closed.